You can type here any text you want

DMV issued a new title under my stolen GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boogienights

My 87 GN was stolen back in april of 1998, it was reported stolen that day and 27 days later a new TITLE WAS ISSUED BY DMV.

I ran a carfax on the vin and found out that a new owner was issued the title, so the next day i called autocrime (NYPD auto-theft division) and told them what i had found out, so they ran my vin and it came up legit!:confused: so i said i have the police report that the car is stolen, so then he tells me he'll call me back.

20 minutes later he calls back and says sanitation tagged your car and towed and that i would have to call them to find out more info. NYPD tells me that i have to call someone else to find out why the vin is legit, gee i guess they were to busy to actually do there job which is AUTO THEFT:rolleyes:

So i call sanitation and they tell me the car is crushed, so i ask why is there a new owner on the title? if the cra is crushed?
His answer I DON'T KNOW?
I asked how come i was never contacted about my car his answer I DON'T KNOW?
I asked do you write down what kind of shape the car is in when you found it he says yes, i then asked well what kind of condition was it in, His reply I CAN'T TELL YOU THAT COMPANY POLICY.:mad:

So my final venture was to go to my local NYPD HOUSE and ask them to run the vin and see who owns the car, they reluntantly run the vin and it comes back to a salvage yard in the BRONX gee GO FIGURE?:rolleyes: they said it has never been registered so its not on the road according to them.

I tried to calling dmv and i couldn't get through to speak to anyone so i'll have to try again.

My theory is the car was towed in with parts available to be sold and they applied for a title as soon as they got the car in, probably paid the DMV guy to expedite the title so they can take ownership and make some money.

MY biggest question is...... Is it legal what DMV did by issuing a title only 27 days after a car is stolen without properly notifying the owner?

Any help will be appreciated, and any advice will be taken seriously.

Thank you.

I'm assuming you did not have full coverage, only liability? If so that is definately messed up!

If you had full coverage and got a settlement, then the car was then the insurance companies, and after recovery it is theres for auction.

Originally posted by Boogienights
MY biggest question is...... Is it legal what DMV did by issuing a title only 27 days after a car is stolen without properly notifying the owner?

Wow what an ugly mess. You're barking up the wrong tree with the DMV. They were probably presented with the right documentation and issued a title. It's not their obligation to investigate a theft unless they're given a rebuilt title from another state (in which case the vehicle is subject to a physical inspection by the NY anti-theft bureau).

It could be nothing more sinister than a lag in paperwork between the tow truck company and the NYPD. As mentioned by Paul it would have been sold at the Sheriff's auction. I'm pretty sure in that case a salvage title is issued which then can be converted to a "clean' title (albeit with a rebuilt indicator on it).

I had the OPPOSITE happen to me with my '67 LeMans. Got a call from the Sheriff who said my car was towed and I needed to come and get it. The problem was that I had sold it 4 years earlier. I said it wasn't mine, he said fine it's being auctioned off at the yard in the Bronx. I toyed with the idea of getting the car back, but these towing companies slap exorbitant towing and storage fees on the cars that they want in order to prevent people from bidding on them (like buying any property at auction, you inherit the liens). So after the auction, when no one buys them, they wind up the property of the towing company.

If you got paid for the loss by the insurance company let it go.

Jim

Stir up some $hit!!

If this happened in NYC, go to the mayor's office and get hold of one of his "PR" people, and ask for help, sit back and watch..

A second idea is to call the local crime reporter at the NYT, and the TV station investigators.. Give them all the info INCLUDING the names of all the a$$holes you've talked to, and watch what happens... I'm betting there's a car theft ring working in the sanitation dept and other places, such as the city wrecker services....Why do you think they towed your GN?? Cause it will sell for alot more than the 81 Citation sitting next to it...;) ;)

Once the story hits the news, I'm also putting money on a flood of other folks calling to ask WTF is going on.!!:eek: :eek:

Back