You can type here any text you want

Does anyone have Romulator?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

granatl

TRCM Author
I've been trying for 2 weeks to get Romulator to work in my 87 GN. I either get the rapid SES light, or a solid one; both cause the car to barely run.
I have the 4 pins hanging over the notched (inner) end of our PROM socket.
I've tried the Pull Hard/Soft and I see no effect. I can't tell from their FAQ which it's supposed to be.
Any tips?

Contact Eric Marshall. He has one working. maybe he can help.

Yep... Been using it on the GN for a few months now.

Notes:

If you have the stock funky socket-carrier thing still in place,
good luck. You can clip the last 4 pins off a 28-pin low profile
socket, and it'll fit down in there, but it's pretty prone to losing
connection. You're better off pulling the carrier socket and
replacing it with a regular socket.

It's not particularly smooth during the update process. This is
true on the '749/'730 ECM also.

Beats the heck out of re-burning chips, though.

Just my thoughts...

I appreciate the info. I was able to get mine working last weekend by plugging into my Max Effort socket. Some days it works great and others, it's aggravating. For example, last night, everytime I'd connect the laptop, the car would stutter (and the SES blink for 1/2 a second) every 15-30 seconds. (That's without any software running)
I've seen the update problem that you're speaking of. I've been experimenting with other code that minimizes that, but striving to eliminate it altogether.

The major issue with anything related to the 148 is that darned chip socket. Desoldering the stock dohicky and installing a ZIF or regular socket makes life alot easier. *Mr Bill* has been doing that for the 747s, so I'd imagine he'd do it for a 148.

Once you get past the socket issue. Here's what I've had good luck with:

http://misterbill.homeip.net/aboutprominator.asp

It's like a timex, it just keeps on working with the Prominator it just seemed to have bad hair days and this has been 100% all the time. And unlike an emulator, that they suggest to always replace with a chip when your done, the Prominator is a permanent memory devise.

AND it allows for 8 different .bins that you can switch while the engine's running.

Back