Doing a LSx turbo swap

Looking good!! I have a 402 LSx with L92 heads getting ready for a future in my GN!! I think that I am going to go with two 67 and see what happens :cool: . Are you still only hoping for 500-600rwhp with that!! You should easily hit that, just push it a little!! I have seen these stock cranks go 800 at the rear wheels!

yeah, i just plan to max out the single walbro 340 i have, am going to do a double pumper this winter, and pull everything out again and clean it up, sray it all down with some nice paint and put in ARP rod bolts. aside from that, 500whp around here is like 3rd or 4th place, only a couple legit drag cars even have that. Also i am using this as a fun driver, not a strip machine. i just want to run my 11.5's at like 5psi whenever, then turn it up to 10psi to get my high 10 and get kicked out for no bar. Ive got too many other things to work on this year anyway, a FC rx7, and a FB rx7. FC is getting the motor put back together this weekend, and theres a GT4202 turbo sitting here for it. its around 2400lbs now and should do 10's easy. Going to pick up the FB next week, that is getting a FD motor, full bridgeport and a S400 turbo. Yeah i have alot to do
Gary

That 340 sounds like your only holdback from BIG numbers, but I understand you. You will be able to run that thing at 5# of boost forever! It would be nice to have a 5-600 RWHP car and never really have to worry about a thing! ;)

I got my headers welded up, finally. that took forever and a day, and no they arent the sexiest things around, but it will get the job done. i finally got pissed and grabbed the MIG gun and finished em up. also made a plate for the heater box, out of 1/4" alum diamond plate. haha, it was layin there and i figured what the hell, i can always change it. So now it goes back to the small shop to sit for a week wheni go play on spring break. hopefully i have some extra cash when i get back to order the rest of my plumbing so i can run it. then its just a driveshaft, master cylinder and brake hoses and its driveable! has to be driveable by may 1st for a local car show, we'll just see about that.
Gary

Are you going to use the factory 6.0 computer to control the shift points in the 4L80E or an aftermarket box/controller?

That setup should make 500rwhp with very little effort.

factory electronics, you reall cant go wrong with the new gm PCM's, its damn near as good as DFI or fast system. I have HP Tuners software and it is converted to 2-bar speed-density. all wiring is stock, that was either shortened or lengthened and using a stock 4l80 and a stock converter. hope to get a new converter this winter as the stocker weighs in at...

73lbs!!! holy **** that thing is heavy. going to a 10" 3000 stall that weighs only 36lbs, that should knock about 3/10ths off minimun.

More accomplished this week, the wiring is done and secured into the fuse box. will finish running hot wire for fuel pump this weekend. going to pick up some relays on the 1st for the pump and fan, maybe get a y-pipe made. Also need to finish putting loom and secure the wiring. mount computer and FPR to the firewall. Shampooed the carpet and got some new insulation and the carpet put back in today as well. assembled inner fenders and set the hood on tonight to check fitment, have about .2" of clearance at the alternator, just right! Also this weekend im gonna pull the master cyl/ pedal from the donor car and get that put in. If i get really ambitious i may install the new p-brake cables too, but ill probably find the beer before that happens!
Gary

Interested in seeing it with the inner fenders back in and the clearances that you are seeing!!!! :cool:

some more today, got my e-brake cables on, and obviously the rear brakes off. Also, got a free vacuum brake system, was going to go with manuals originally, and because of this, the rear tube of the drivers side header is pretty close to the booster. i think it will be ok once the headers are coated, and i am going to put some foil tape on there to keep the heat off it. Clearance is about 3/4", other than that i have lots and lots of room to work with for everything.
On a side note, i decided i am not gonna hang the turbo right away. Funds say, either get the turbo on there, or buy a driveshaft. im gonna get a driveshaft of course, because then it is actually driveable and i would like to get a nice base tune in first. also all i need to do later for the turbo set up is make a y-pipe and weld a fitting in the front cover, no biggie. Though the turbo should be operational around the 4th of july. Ill post pics tomorrow or monday i guess.
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,443
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,437
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,430
more

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,440
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,410
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,417
more, comments!
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,412
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,402
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,415
those headers look like they would work perfectly. The only real reason i made my own was to get the packaging i wanted to the T. I could have adapted a number of different headers, but i wanted this layout specifically. Also I wanted to make them myself as a learning experience, now i can say just that.
Yes i do plan on doing everything in full ceramic. that brake booster is the only place where they are even remotely close to anything, including the plugs as i made sure i can get a socket and extension on every plug and every bolt.
Also last night I made a new turbo bracket, moved it back about 4" and up 1.25". There was alot of room and this makes fitment of an intercooler that much easier. The downpipe may take another few bends but thats ok.
Gary

Its def looking good. I wish I could weld, would have some myslef quite a few $$. Please make sure to keep us updated. Id love to see a pic of the turbo mounted with your new braket.:)

what are you using for a throttle cable since they are on opposite sides of the TB's and use different ends

stock pickup cable, had to bend the gas pedal arm a bit to get WOT, but it fits just right.
Also i have everything on the way to finish the car, v bands, oil system for turbo, and 12' of 4" tubing and 2 dynomax race bullets to do an exhaust, 60mm wastegate. I have decided to go non intercooled for now, as at 7-10psi i doubt i will need it, and will do that when i have a motor that can actually use it. Some cheap water/oil/volt guaes for the car, just going to use the laptop for speedo and tach and such, just thought it would be nice to have a mech guage to verify oil press. so, hoping all this will be here by friday so i can thrash on it this weekend and at least get the turbo oil stuff on and start on the downpipe.driveshaft will be ready next wed, and should have the y-pipe tacked up by then, and need to get a thermostat housing as well.
This weekend i did the hotwire on the fuel pump and finished most of the electrical,(FP relay, battery cables and such), finished looming all wires and secured them. just need to wire in the fan and a OBD II plug in place of the OBD I. Assembled the bumper and tail lights, rear shocks. The car WILL be driving by May 1st, i can assure you that, dont need an exhaust around here too bad, i know all the cops ;)
Gary

ok i have some pics and video to put up later tonight. the 60mm wastegate is here, i have the crossover and downpipe done. Going to pull everything off friday, have a quart of black ceramic coating sitting here to apply. Yesterday, picked up brake lines and bled them out, driveshaft, and the rest of the fittings for the turbo oil system. THis weekend im going to tap the pan and make a temporary charge pipe, and need to make a bracket for the shfter cable to trans. Last night it moved across the shop under its own power, and i power braked it a little. that turbo is LOUD when it gets movin! Oh, also have the cooling system all sitting there waiting to go in. Im pretty excited, next week i will pick up some new tabs for it, and this things gonna get driven. So yeah, ill post that stuff up later.
Gary