You can type here any text you want

Don't be fooled

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Norman C Shibley

25 year ASE master tech
Hello boost brothers and sisters. I wanted to share an experience so hopefully I can prevent at least one person from making the same boneheaded mistake I made. I've been ASSUMING that the dull knocking sound coming from my lower end was a rod knock developing etc. Especially after recently removing the rear main to replace a seal and the bearings were down to the copper in a small area. Replaced all new standard bearings on the lower end and all went well with improved oil pressure. But when I started the vehicle for the second time, turns out the noise was still there. I had originally narrowed down the noise with a stethoscope. It never occurred to me to put my hand on the pan to feel the thumping in the pan. It turns out to have been the rod slapping the baffle in the pan.

Attachments

• 20240803_214047.jpg
    20240803_214047.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
the baffle gets pulled up by the pickup tube dropping the pan with engine in the car
it happens
once you get the pan in place over the pickup you can reach over and push the baffle down
i also use the end of the rod on my caulk gun through the oil drain hole to reach up into pan and pull the baffle down
an old fashioned hook dent puller will also do it
if after the job is done and you hear its hitting .. easy fix is drain oil , and pull baffle down

Back