You can type here any text you want

Don't you hate it when you know more than the GM Parts Guy?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Needs 8

I really hate parts people who think that their computer is the "parts bible".

So I had to change the lock cylinder on the TTA (see my other thread). Well, the new cylinder came with a "pattern key" that is used to cut a VATS key. So I go to the Chevy Dealership Parts department by my office.

I know how these guys work, they want your VIN or else it's like pulling teeth telling them what part you need. Well apparently in the GM database (or this dealerships version), the VIN 7 Firebird in 1989 did not come with a VATS key :confused: :rolleyes:

I said "Well, I know 1500 of them did. Here's my spare key to the old cylinder, right here it says #(number). That's the key I need."

Having already looked online at locksmith online stores and ebay, I came to the conclusion that in the years that GM used the "older" square VATS key, they were the same key with 15 different Resistors. I knew which one it was, and the Fool even used his little device that confirmed which Number VATS it was.

But the computer said MY CAR DIDN'T HAVE VATS so he didn't know which key it was. :mad: HELLO, MCFLY??? :mad:

"Maybe the Pontiac Dealership will know which one it is." he says

WHAT? GM is GM, right?

I hope for his sake that he thought that I was trying to make a copy of a key to a car that I don't really own, or else this guy was a complete IDIOT.

By this time I knew the closest Pontiac dealership would be closed by the time I got there. And I also caught a glimse of the $34 price on his computer, so I'm just going to get one off the internet.

RANT OFF.

Man, if I had a nickle for every time I knew more than the parts guy......well, I'd have a lot of nickles!!! ;)

Haha yea. Last week I went in to get a radiator cap for my dads 72 GS. I old him I needed a cap for a 1972 Skylark. He asked if it was an Oldsmobile. I told him he needed to find out for himself..he went and asked his friend.

Jason

man I'm glad I've got a buddy now who works as a Tech at a GM dealership and he'll just look it up for me and get it at cost for me. Although I love going to like Advance or Autozone and them saying "wow turbo huh?".

The guy at the Advance Auto parts by my house seems to be a real GN gearhead. He knew that they made 10000 GNXs, and that they all had the Turbo 4.3 litre. :confused: I tried to correct him, but he ended up saying, "The GNs had the same engine as the Monte SS's do."
Me: "Nope. Wrong again."
Him: "They could never keep up with the Corvettes though. Nothing was faster than the Corvette in the 80's."
Me: :confused:

j13smiley said:
you could just put a resistor in and disable your vats ;)

Nah, went to the Old Fashioned Hardware store that has anything and everthing. Had one made for Twenty Bucks. :biggrin:

vats

Hi,
Good deal. I was going to suggest that any competent locksmith would cut a key for under $20. By the way, caring parts people are very important, and not that common. As was said,the computer people are NOT parts people. As the owner of an auto repair facility, I can tell you that they can make, or break you.
ASE now has parts certification tests, which helps some. What helps more is a prior history of auto repair, which the individual can draw upon to hook up with your needs.What steams me is getting on the phone ,when they are busy, and talking to one of their parts runners, or something, who generally know nothing.Also, a good guy will NOT make you repeat yourself; he has a memory for what is said, will get right to the issue. A computer is just a tool for such an individual.
To sum it up,if you can find a good parts man in the business, keep him. If he moves, follow him. Send him a Christmas card with a few bucks stashed inside! I know it sounds extreme, but only a mechanic would appreciate a good parts person.

Lucky for me the local GM Parts guy has been in the job for as long as I've been reconstructing totaled GMs. He doesn't question me - just gives me what I ask for no matter how seemingly wrong the request may be.

Jim

I bought VATs keys on e-bay for arond $17.00 shipped; then took them to Home Depot and had them cut. Both door and ignition key work perfectly. :)

dadsbad said:
I bought VATs keys on e-bay for arond $17.00 shipped; then took them to Home Depot and had them cut. Both door and ignition key work perfectly. :)
But isnt there like 10 different VAT chips? How did you know which one to get? I went to the local Chevy dealer and got a key made. He tried the 10 different ones and found which chip it was. It was $50.

Jasin

Quiky One said:
But isnt there like 10 different VAT chips? How did you know which one to get? I went to the local Chevy dealer and got a key made. He tried the 10 different ones and found which chip it was. It was $50.

Jasin

whoever that parts guy was is a retard then, you can look the VIN up and it'll tell them what key number to use. Or you can take it to like True Value and they have a little thing that they read the resistance and then have all the keys now.

72firebird said:
they have a little thing that they read the resistance and then have all the keys now.

Your basic ohm meter will measure the resistance. Then you know which key to get. If you google VATS you can find a table with all of the values. I've seen it before on the Cadillac site. You can also just put a resistor in the VATS circuit to eliminate the need for a resistor in the key (which I think is something someone mentioned way up top).

Jim

Back