You can type here any text you want

Double check my install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hflwyo

Just got my Rollmaster timing chain on and wanted a second opinion to make sure it is set up right. I have found other threads on this and I am pretty positive it is right but just wanted to make sure before I put the cover back on.

Attachments

• rmsINFO.txt
    rmsINFO.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180204_125223.jpg
    20180204_125223.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 214
  • 20180204_125229.jpg
    20180204_125229.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 219
This is a good a good question your asking!! I lost a whole season with my old Buick by using a double roller timing chain that had a few different symbols on the crankshaft wheel...The wrong one was chosen and as you probably already know these are zero tolerance motors...When pistons come up and the valves aren't closed bad things happen :hurting:....

I know some has installed one of these before, please chime in.

Looks like the "o" mark is off to the side of the tooth instead of right under it. Both of my Rollmasters have the marks right under the tooth. The crank is in the correct position for TDC and the key looks like it is in the correct slot on the gear for "o". I think it will be OK.

I know some has installed one of these before, please chime in.
Looks like the "o" mark is off to the side of the tooth instead of right under it. Both of my Rollmasters have the marks right under the tooth. The crank is in the correct position for TDC and the key looks like it is in the correct slot on the gear for "o". I think it will be OK.
Yeah I noticed that the 0 is just off to the side of the tooth as well. They all are like that not directly on the tooth like you would expect. I did find this picture online mine looks just like this so I guess it is right.

Attachments

• rollmaster-timing-marks.jpg
    rollmaster-timing-marks.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 132
^^^^ This is right but the key in the crank is not
You are referring to the picture directly above correct? If so, this is not my car and it is not a turbo Buick motor I believe I found this picture on a 3800 series 2 website. Was just using it as a reference. My engine is in the first post. Does the setup in that picture look right to you?

There are 9 positions for the key. If there are 4 slots to the left and 4 slots to the right of the crank key, then you are on zero. It is confusing the way they mark the gears.

......what does the degree wheel say? That's the only way to know if it's installed right.

Also, if you're using a GM cover, you need to get rid of that 'flap' of metal on the outside of the cam sensor bore.

There are 9 positions for the key. If there are 4 slots to the left and 4 slots to the right of the crank key, then you are on zero. It is confusing the way they mark the gears.
I counted 7 slots on the crank gear. There are 3 to the left and 3 to the right of where it is now.

......what does the degree wheel say? That's the only way to know if it's installed right.

Also, if you're using a GM cover, you need to get rid of that 'flap' of metal on the outside of the cam sensor bore.

This. Degree it. Takes an hour the first time, and saves a whole lot of smashed valves.

I counted 7 slots on the crank gear. There are 3 to the left and 3 to the right of where it is now.

My bad. Buick gears have seven key ways. Ford small block gears have 9. The middle should be zero, but just to make sure the gears were made correctly, degreeing the cam would let you know for sure where the cam is.

Could he possibly be 180 out ? Seen it happen with cam sensor.

You are referring to the picture directly above correct? If so, this is not my car and it is not a turbo Buick motor I believe I found this picture on a 3800 series 2 website. Was just using it as a reference. My engine is in the first post. Does the setup in that picture look right to you?

Yours looks correct to me. And from what I can see, your key is correct as well.

Could he possibly be 180 out ? Seen it happen with cam sensor.
The cam gear only goes on one way. The bolts are not spaced 180 deg. apart. Of course if #1 isn't TDC on compression it could be 180 0ff.

Back