Downpipe discussion

boosted3

Well it has been almost 6 years since i was in a Buick and at that time the THDP was the way to go. I am getting back in the drivers seat and now it looks like they are getting harder to come by. I noticed that RJC is now selling downpipes and am just wondering how that compares to the houston pipe. I know RJC is a supporting member of this forum and am not trying to ruffle any feathers, i just dont want to have to buy twice. I have searched the forum for a few days and cant find anything to tell me which way to go. I loved the power plate and plan on buying another one, that is what leads me to the downpipe and probably exhaust system as well. The current setup has a TA49 and 50#s and I will probably step up next year with some bigger equipment to get near the 10's...any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Really the integrated wastegate designs are becoming insufficient for the new billet wheel stuff. You cant cram enough air through the hole to control the boost.

We've been selling external gated downpipes to most people that run big turbos. People selling pipes that come off the stock housing even with external gates, youre still limited by that wastegate hole. The downside to our stuff is you have to send us the passenger side header.

What is the cost of a 3"dp with an external wastegate? I could probably locate a used drivers side header to send you to get it done. I was under the impression that those are considerably more expensive mainly because of the wastegate. I only have about 2 more months of warm weather before i have to put my car away. I guess my question after the price would be, do you think it is worth my time and performance to get an integral now and wait until late summer next year for the external or just leave the stocker on it until i can afford the better choice?

I would also like to hear some comments on the RJC downpipe as I am considering purchasing one since I'm having no luck with my search for a THDP.

I am also in the market for a 3" internal DP and would be interested in any feedback on the RJC peice.

What are some other vendors that still sell a TH style 3" pipe?

What is the cost of a 3"dp with an external wastegate? I could probably locate a used drivers side header to send you to get it done. I was under the impression that those are considerably more expensive mainly because of the wastegate. I only have about 2 more months of warm weather before i have to put my car away. I guess my question after the price would be, do you think it is worth my time and performance to get an integral now and wait until late summer next year for the external or just leave the stocker on it until i can afford the better choice?

It depends on the gate you go with. The pipe itself is $699.00. The gate can be anywhere from $300 to $600.

Also, we need the passenger side header, not the driver.

The TH style pipes will not pass enough air for these billet wheel turbos. I put one on Shane's car and left the flapper hanging wide open and it wouldnt make less than 19 PSI.

Life starts higher than 19PSI anyway right Jay? External gates always have been the way to go we just got spoiled by the flapper valve pipes, easy installs and lower costs. Header with gate pre-plumbed and 4 bolt housings should be next IMO
Mike

Life starts higher than 19PSI anyway right Jay? External gates always have been the way to go we just got spoiled by the flapper valve pipes, easy installs and lower costs. Header with gate pre-plumbed and 4 bolt housings should be next IMO
Mike

We could do that ;) Find someone to manufacture them and lets work something out. Everyone Ive talked to about doing it wants too much money per set to make it reasonable, especially when they're going to be knocked off by the Chinese inside of 3 months anyway.

External gates are so much better than the flapper setup anyways.

I have called or visited just about every US company I can find to try to work this out this header/downpipe thing and so far no dice. Stainlessworks was talking the talk but when it came down to it could not even come close to making the right deal. Maybe we need to move outside the county and find someone who does nice work, there is lots of high quality parts like HKS, Greddy coming from over there. Let me know if your interested. I know what I would like to build, like to get your thoughts.
Mike

+ 1 to go to china! just have a iron grip on there quality control, I know lots of contracters that do just that.

I personally dont give a hoot as to where it comes from - as long as its a quality piece and the price is right im game.

A.j.

+ 1 to go to china! just have a iron grip on there quality control, I know lots of contracters that do just that.

I personally dont give a hoot as to where it comes from - as long as its a quality piece and the price is right im game.

A.j.

The problem with the Chinese is, at least with the companies Ive talked to, that they wont commit to not selling your stuff to someone else. Everyone Ive talked to will give you a 6-12 month exclusive then all bets are off the table.

If (And thats a big IF) they could manufacture something to my standards with nice merge collectors, etc, Id probably be okay with it because the stuff wouldnt be made as cheaply as possible.

Id rather have a quality piece and pay more for it instead of paying $99.00 a set like these other guys and selling them for $499-$599. Theyre making huge money selling junk.

I just installed an RJC 3" DP with integral wastegate...fit like a glove...with no boost creep issues...and I run a 70.

I just installed an RJC 3" DP with integral wastegate...fit like a glove...with no boost creep issues...and I run a 70.

Looking at your location, thats no surprise.

Did you have any clearance issues at all? How about the inner fender, did you have to modify it?

It clears the frame easily...keep in mind that I use H and R motor mounts. I can't give you an honest answer on the inner fender because I used a GBODY DP before this...and I had to do some serious trimming to get it to fit.

Have you looked into someone in Mexico Jay? Hooker has there's made there so someone should be able to do it.

It clears the frame easily...keep in mind that I use H and R motor mounts. I can't give you an honest answer on the inner fender because I used a GBODY DP before this...and I had to do some serious trimming to get it to fit.
Thanks for the info. :cool:

Do the HR mounts change the height/angle of the engine?

Back to the topic, anyone installed a RJC downpipe that can comment on whether the inner fender had to be trimmed?

Thanks for the responses guys! As much as I would love to buy a top of the line handmade downpipe with external wastegate, $1000+ is a little out of my budget so i think im going to stick with the RJC pipe for now. Its only going to be bolted to a little TA49 and I think im just going to work on getting it tuned so i can put alcohol on it and push it to the limits before i go bigger. Thanks for all your help and Jay, maybe I will contact you guys in a year or so to build me a custom pipe!