drip rails

bosted86

just finished restoring my 86 and i installed the drip rails, however, the drips are driping down a a pillar during hard rain. did the drip rails requires sealant prior to installing?

Dripping into the car when the windows are rolled up? You need to run some weatherstrip adhesive or maybe some of the urethene sealer between the weatherstrip retainer and the roof panel. That foam-like tape the factory used doesn't reseal at all after you have removed the retainers. Some thing goes for the metal drip molding section that runs along the A-pillars.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you or anyone knows if the driprails on a hardtop are the same as on a T-Top. Im desperately looking for T-Roof ones (Driver & Passenger).

Thanks.

Canadian GTP said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if you or anyone knows if the driprails on a hardtop are the same as on a T-Top. Im desperately looking for T-Roof ones (Driver & Passenger).

Thanks.

No the moldings and weatherstrip retainers are T-top only. I'm not sure if the retainers can be cut to work but the moldings have a finished end to them.

GM makes some black rope calk. Maybe it's called window sealer?
I used 2 or 3 strips of it behind every piece.
Works so far.

turbofish38 said:
Dripping into the car when the windows are rolled up? You need to run some weatherstrip adhesive or maybe some of the urethene sealer between the weatherstrip retainer and the roof panel. That foam-like tape the factory used doesn't reseal at all after you have removed the retainers. Some thing goes for the metal drip molding section that runs along the A-pillars.

So is it best to remove all the old foam from the back of the retainers? Will that cause any fitment problems?

If so, do you just use weatherstrip adhesive to seal them or is there something better?

Pete