You can type here any text you want

Drive shaft angles

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickspec6231

This might be the wrong portion of the Forum's to post, and I apologize if it is. Ok, here is the dilemma.... I am installing a turbo'd 3.8l (231ci) Buick V6 from the 86-87 T-Types / Grand Nationals followed by a 200-4R in my 1962 Buick Special SW. I am also installing either a ford 8.8 rear from a 2000 4WD Explorer or GM 8.5 out of a late 1990's or early 2000's 4WD Blazer/Jimmy. I am picking one of these rears because they are nearly the same width as the '61-'63 Specials, the Ford being slightly wider. The Ford 8.8 is stronger but has an offset pinion. The GM 8.5 may also be offset, but is much closer to having a centered pinion. Now for my question.... I have searched and searched and searched on the wonderful internet but I can not locate any information regarding drive shaft angles. I want to try to keep the engine as close to centered in the engine compartment as possible for balance and aesthetics. These cars were originally equipped with two piece driveshafts and I would prefer to utilize only a single shaft. Does anyone know a good resource whether a book I can purchase or reputable site that speaks of driveshaft lengths and angles? I am not talking about tail shaft to pinion angles in an up and down relationship, that information is readily available... I am looking for information about the angles from side to side... I hope that makes sense to you readers. I guess what I am trying to find out, what is an acceptable amount of angle for a drive shaft if the engine and tranny are at the vehicle center line and the rear differential is off set to one side of the other??? Any help would be awesome. Positive or negative criticism is also welcome, because it helps me focus on the project. Thanks in advance. ~ Dan Sallay

Drive Shaft Issues

Great link. Thank you for the information, its a huge help.

Hi,

I am new to your forum. So you'll know where I am coming from on this topic I am President of Inland Empire Drive Line Service, Inc.

The information in the Education Zone on our web site applies to all drive shafts whatever their application. If you would like more information about your particular application call 800.800.0109, 8 to 5 Pacific Time week days, and Robert or Jeff can clarify any remaining set up questions.

There are a couple issues with the GN Buick though not with their angle set up. One is that the wheel base of these cars varies by 3/4 of an inch. When replacing the drive shaft do not rely on the OEM shaft being exactly correct. Measure your own car to correct for the W.B. variation. The other is that these shafts are at the limit of allowable length for the tube diameter originally used. It is worth the cost to increase the tube diameter when replacing the shaft especially if any high shaft RPM uses are planned.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Hi,

I am new to your forum. So you'll know where I am coming from on this topic I am President of Inland Empire Drive Line Service, Inc.

The information in the Education Zone on our web site applies to all drive shafts whatever their application.

There are a couple issues with the GN Buick though not with their angle set up. One is that the wheel base of these cars varies by 3/4 of an inch. When replacing the drive shaft do not rely on the OEM shaft being exactly correct. Measure your own car to correct for the W.B. variation. The other is that these shafts are at the limit of allowable length for the tube diameter originally used. It is worth the cost to increase the tube diameter when replacing the shaft especially if any high shaft RPM uses are planned.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thank you for your response Greg and I'm not being nasty here, but you're not a vendor and even though this may not be an advertisement it kinda sounds like one. If you want some one to contact you next time please post info and offer them a PM. Your input is valuable and appreciated and we'd love to have you join as a supporting vendor if you'd like.:smile:

Physics

Thank you for your response Greg and I'm not being nasty here, but you're not a vendor and even though this may not be an advertisement it kinda sounds like one. If you want some one to contact you next time please post info and offer them a PM. Your input is valuable and appreciated and we'd love to have you join as a supporting vendor if you'd like.:smile:

I understand. Your very words are delivered to me from every forum in which I try to be helpful. No worries.
I have asked about advertising but, it being Christmas week, I suppose your Webmaster has other things to do than to answer me.
Advertisement flavor or not, pay attention to the content. It will save you a lot of money and frustration. Many others have been down this path and have learned the hard way. The hard way is how we learned. My post was simply an effort to shorten the learning curve for you.
Greg

I understand. Your very words are delivered to me from every forum in which I try to be helpful. No worries.
I have asked about advertising but, it being Christmas week, I suppose your Webmaster has other things to do than to answer me.
Advertisement flavor or not, pay attention to the content. It will save you a lot of money and frustration. Many others have been down this path and have learned the hard way. The hard way is how we learned. My post was simply an effort to shorten the learning curve for you.
Greg

All I have to say is WOW! Thanks Greg.:biggrin: Send a note to SGRIM who owns the board. I'm sure he can give you all the details you need and would be happy to help you.:cool:

Greg; Thanks for the support and contact information. When the weather warms up (unheated garage) I will be out there tinkering again. I will make sure I contact a professional. The information on the website is excellent. Thanks for what you do.

Greg

Email returned...

Back