You can type here any text you want

Driver Side Valve Cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
yeah me too and about 15 others ;)

nothing "TTA" special about them...80's FWD sedan's in the junk yard will have the same valve cover...so I have been told.

Scott89TTA said:
yeah me too and about 15 others ;)

nothing "TTA" special about them...80's FWD sedan's in the junk yard will have the same valve cover...so I have been told.

they're pretty close to being the same. The VC that I got off a 3.0 has a different breather position. So instead of being on the side by the intake, it's on the back by the firewall. Also the diamete was a little different so I had to rig up a breather for it.

Its the early 3.0 that are like the TTA. The latter ones had the one in the end.

Does anyone or would anyone be interested in making some aftermarket ones? Some nice chrome or stainless ones would be perfect. I would buy a set in a heartbeat. Maybe we could start a list here and see if anyone capable wants to do it.

AKTURBOTA said:
I was wondering if anyone had a driver side 89 TTA valve cover for sale?

I've got one if you want it. Just pay the shipping and it's yours. It came off my TTA but the previous owner had it powder coated gray and I've since painted it red and black. Just PM me or let me know.

Jas89TTA said:
I've got one if you want it. Just pay the shipping and it's yours. It came off my TTA but the previous owner had it powder coated gray and I've since painted it red and black. Just PM me or let me know.

I sent you a PM regarding your valve cover.

Mark

Crazy I just ran that part number thru a GM parts locator and found just one in a GM warehouse in Cali. Made the guy check and they had it in stock. I guess it was the last nos GM one out there! :wink: Anyone have the passenger side part number see if I can get a complete nos set for my junk collection! :D

phillyturbosix said:
Crazy I just ran that part number thru a GM parts locator and found just one in a GM warehouse in Cali. Made the guy check and they had it in stock. I guess it was the last nos GM one out there! :wink: Anyone have the passenger side part number see if I can get a complete nos set for my junk collection! :D

We need to stop giving you part numbers.

72firebird said:
We need to stop giving you part numbers.

lol! The one with the most NOS TTA parts wins! I have to keep up with that damn George! :D For some reason when I see an old part number I just have to track it down! Funny part is most of the time someone has one somewhere across the USA! :cool:

phillyturbosix said:

Pass side cover # is 25518546 HTH. Jason

Jas89TTA said:
Pass side cover # is 25518546 HTH. Jason

Thanks Jason. That one is long gone. Strange part is the driver side cover was discontinued Sept. 99 and the pass. side was discontinued July of 2000. Well I'll see what this driver side looks like when it gets here.

72firebird said:
they're pretty close to being the same. The VC that I got off a 3.0 has a different breather position. So instead of being on the side by the intake, it's on the back by the firewall. Also the diamete was a little different so I had to rig up a breather for it.
Well while changing my valve springs we got something wrong with one of the nuts and washers that hold down the valve cover. Must not have been lined up right an cracked the valve cover. It literaly broke out the round section where the rubber grommet sits...looked like a beer tab making about a 1 1/2" hole :mad: So needless to say I was crawling around the junk yard today looking for a replacement valve cover. A good time to get a 2nd drivers side valve cover for the passenger side so I can add another breather. I could only find the later 3L valve cover with the hole in the end like mentioned. I could not find any of the older type with the hole in the top side like the stock TTA drivers side. I noticed one thing different aside from the hole location...the gasket from the TTA seems a little off. While it seems to fit the grove seems to be a little larger then the TTA and the gasket falls out easily when trying to install the valve cover. Did you have the same problem or did you get a different gasket?

Oh...and on the hole in the end of the valve cover I just turned down a plug out of aluminum round stock and pushed it into the hole in the grommet and put a 2nd breather like I have in the drivers side in the oil fill cap hole.

Also the part that broke on my stock valve cover was where the boost solenoid mounts to the valve cover on the passenger side forward most stud. When we took the valver covers off to change the springs we just tossed all the nuts and washers in a pile. When we went to put it all back together we noticed we had 7 washers instead of 6...shouldn't each stud get 1 rubber grommet, 1 steel washer and 1 nut :confused: Where does the extra washer go or :confused: Both forward most studs have brackets mounted under the nuts...does anybody know the propper stack-up of parts (grommets, washers, nuts, brackets) for each of the 6 studs? If so please let me know. I'm back together but not sure if it is right and aslo not sure if the gasket is sealing propperly yet either. When I removed the valve cover a lot of oil ran off the head down the outside of the head and on to the exhaust...so a lot of smoke when I started it up...seems to have stopped but it got dark and I'm not 100% sure it is good yet.

-Scott

Scott89TTA said:
Well while changing my valve springs we got something wrong with one of the nuts and washers that hold down the valve cover. Must not have been lined up right an cracked the valve cover. It literaly broke out the round section where the rubber grommet sits...looked like a beer tab making about a 1 1/2" hole :mad: So needless to say I was crawling around the junk yard today looking for a replacement valve cover. A good time to get a 2nd drivers side valve cover for the passenger side so I can add another breather. I could only find the later 3L valve cover with the hole in the end like mentioned. I could not find any of the older type with the hole in the top side like the stock TTA drivers side. I noticed one thing different aside from the hole location...the gasket from the TTA seems a little off. While it seems to fit the grove seems to be a little larger then the TTA and the gasket falls out easily when trying to install the valve cover. Did you have the same problem or did you get a different gasket?

Oh...and on the hole in the end of the valve cover I just turned down a plug out of aluminum round stock and pushed it into the hole in the grommet and put a 2nd breather like I have in the drivers side in the oil fill cap hole.

Also the part that broke on my stock valve cover was where the boost solenoid mounts to the valve cover on the passenger side forward most stud. When we took the valver covers off to change the springs we just tossed all the nuts and washers in a pile. When we went to put it all back together we noticed we had 7 washers instead of 6...shouldn't each stud get 1 rubber grommet, 1 steel washer and 1 nut :confused: Where does the extra washer go or :confused: Both forward most studs have brackets mounted under the nuts...does anybody know the propper stack-up of parts (grommets, washers, nuts, brackets) for each of the 6 studs? If so please let me know. I'm back together but not sure if it is right and aslo not sure if the gasket is sealing propperly yet either. When I removed the valve cover a lot of oil ran off the head down the outside of the head and on to the exhaust...so a lot of smoke when I started it up...seems to have stopped but it got dark and I'm not 100% sure it is good yet.

-Scott

ummm yeah the gasket was a little loose but it seemed to seal alright and has been in for over 1k miles without any problems. I used a gromet that I shaved the inside of to a larger diameter that a little filter that I bought would fit. It took a lot of time and lots of test fitting but it finally worked.

Also you should have a stack of gromet, washer, bracket, nut on the ones where things stack I believe. All of them only get 1 washer though so I dunno where you got an extra one.

When I was looking for a pair of LH covers I went to http://car-part.com/ and looked for one from a 85-88 Buick Somerset with the 3.0. I ened up getting them from a junk yard in TN and paid about $40 with shipping for both. I do have a RH cover if you need it I can send you. HTH.Jason

Back