You can type here any text you want

Dry install on Cometics?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
Thats what the directions say. Would It be bad to use some High Tach around the water jackets? And 85 lbs torque?

I removed the single rivet on one side so the layers could fan open. Painted all 6 sides with copper coat and let them lay back together.

With ARP studs I accidentally went lean as hell for less than one second. Detonated hard enough to crack two pistons and didn't lose gasket seal. Needless to say I'm happy with that sealing method.

Copper sprayed both sides, light amount of RTV around coolant passages. 85 ft/lbs on studs.
Four jobs on cars with factory finished heads/blocks.
Remember to seal the bolts/studs.

I use copper spray. It is to seal the water and oil. I doubt if the copper spray helps with the combustion seal. I have had Cometics leak water and oil even sprayed if the block and heads weren't machined with the proper finish. I have never tried dry.

i used them dry the first time .. i have since reused them 6-7 times i put some silicone on them light film over both sides .. and i have used high tact this last time .. and had them for 6 years now .. and 180 000 kms

I've got GN1 heads and block has the factory finish. Both in excellent shape, very smooth. I'm going to install them dry and maybe put a very small amount of high tack right on the water bosses.

That should be a good enough message to everyone.........

Bryan
It is.. until it leaks.. never figured out while people would skip steps that have been proven.. trying to save $10 on a can of copper spray ? :rolleyes:
A lil coolant in the oil never hurt anything

It is.. until it leaks.. never figured out while people would skip steps that have been proven.. trying to save $10 on a can of copper spray ? :rolleyes:
hey, i sprayed mine , even between the layers, still leaked...

Bryan

Mine are copper sprayed. Zero leaks. If Jason and JD did them dry then they are proven to work dry.

Just sayin......
Wasnt the finish of the block or the heads...both done by RPE. Pretty sure he knows how the finish is to be done.

Bryan

Don't mind us guys with decades of experience.. whats the worse that can happen... coolant in the oil, wiped bearings... don't waste the money on a can of copper spray.. better to redo a leaking gasket with new intake, valve cover, and exhaust gaskets, not to mention oil and coolant and 5 hours of work ... The auto stores, vendors, machinist and engine builders thank you. Four jobs on stock finish head/block and no leaks on mine..others... installer error ???
If I laughed at the ignorance on this board, they'd call me the court jester !

Don't mind us guys with decades of experience.. what the worse that can happen... coolant in the oil, wiped bearings... don't waste the money on a can of copper spray.. better to redo a leaking gasket with new intake, valve cover, and exhaust gaskets, not to mention oil and coolant... The auto stores, vendors, machinist and engine builders thank you. Four jobs on stock finish head/block.. installer error ???
Some of us are pushing a little more cylinder pressure than what is in your signature.....
I got my first ASE certs in 1986, so I have turned a couple of wrenches too. Copper works for some and dry works too, sometimes both ways will leak !

Bryan

Back