Dse steering shaft

Geezy

Hello Fellow GN owners,
I tried doing a search but only found one post from 2012 and just thought I might be able to get a more current review on the DSE Steering shaft. I have a shaft that I purchased from Kirban, and I changed the bearing which made some improvement but still has play.
I have a spohn bumpsteer kit, new spohn upper a arms all new front end bushings,bjs etc,new front billsteins , blazer 2wd spindles which helped, but I still have play and want tight steering. On the post I read, one person commented that the DSE shaft eliminated all play , how ever I like to know if anyone else has installed it? Issue? Wins? Opps? Etc.
$250-$280 for the shaft and still have play is not something I want to go thru.
Really appreciate the help in advance! Thanks to this forum alot of upgrades have been done to my GN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed one on mine. Night and day difference. If your front suspension is completely redone the steering shaft will help. Another area to look at is the steering box. I love the DSE shaft.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Installed one on mine. Night and day difference. If your front suspension is completely redone the steering shaft will help. Another area to look at is the steering box. I love the DSE shaft.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The shaft has play, after the bearing change its a bit stiffer but still not what I woild expect after having the entire front end redone. BJ, busings, Lower and upper arms, spindles etc.
Thats the whole reason for purchasing the Kirban one but I suspect the DSE will be 10x better? Did you change the bearing to something other than the one sold on kirban, mike Montes, gbody etc? Is there another one better that I am un aware of?

Are you sure the play is in the steering shaft ? More likely it’s in the box.
Simple test. Turn the wheel back and forth throughout the end play. Look at the end of the steering box input shaft (where the column shaft attaches), if the shaft turns in concert with the steering wheel, the play is in the box. If the Pittman arm moves the same way, the play is in the linkage (tie rods, etc.)
The power steering box requires so little force at the input shaft, compared to its output, it takes a huge amount of wear in the steering shaft to cause noticeable play.

Are you sure the play is in the steering shaft ? More likely it’s in the box.
Simple test. Turn the wheel back and forth throughout the end play. Look at the end of the steering box input shaft (where the column shaft attaches), if the shaft turns in concert with the steering wheel, the play is in the box. If the Pittman arm moves the same way, the play is in the linkage (tie rods, etc.)
The power steering box requires so little force at the input shaft, compared to its output, it takes a huge amount of wear in the steering shaft to cause noticeable play.

Basically, I can move the shaft with my hand and the steering wheel moves a bit. The shaft itself seems loose when I move it up and down, again the the bearing made a huge improvement. Im thinking maybe the oem bearing would be better? With the bearing kit I had purchased one that fit extremely loose, so I was sent another and that one did fit tight, but still a little bit of movement. as I drive I feel a bit of side to side movement. Not alot but just a bit to IRK the OCD

It was doing this really bad before the front end rebuild, and it got better, then I did the shaft and improved a bit, bumpsteer kit and a arms better, putting the new bearing and alot better. But still not tight like I feel it should be. Perhaps I am using the incorrect platform to compare, but I have a lexus Gsf on 22s with rubberband tires 225/30/22 and slammed and I have no play, same with my 84 e30.
My GN has new front tires as well and was just aligned . I am going to try your advice. But was just wondering if using a new shaft like the DSE or a Burgeson or even and astro van shaft would show improvement.

Geezy,

So is the play you are talking about from a OEM style steering shaft? If so, it's most likely from the Rag joint ...

Geezy,

So is the play you are talking about from a OEM style steering shaft? If so, it's most likely from the Rag joint ...

No rag joint I have a jeep shaft I purchased from Kirbans, however I took it out and the u joints have play compared to a new jeep shaft I bought from Crown so I replaced it, seemed to help but play is still there. I bought a Tom lee gear box so we will see after I install.
About 3” of play and a bit of a dead spot

IMG_5947.MOV

Geezy,

No rag joint I have a jeep shaft I purchased from Kirbans, however I took it out and the u joints have play compared to a new jeep shaft I bought from Crown so I replaced it, seemed to help but play is still there. I bought a Tom lee gear box so we will see after I install.
About 3” of play and a bit of a dead spot

IMG_5947.MOV

New Tom Lee power steering gear installed and problem solved