Dyno numbers

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
Hey guys i got my feelings hurt today... went to the dyno. i have an 87 GN with some bolt ons (check my signature) its not a race car but its got a few things. still stock down pipe and intercooler mainly just a TA49 15psi. 42.5lbs ers. chip. rollercam. i was shooting for 350hp maybe high i dunno. but the best it made was 260hp the torque was 320. on the other 4 passes with adding some fuel it made 245 flat across. im talking the graph line from around 3000rpm to like 5000 was 245 all the way... but it made 360ft lbs. i figured it would do better than this. did i just have to high of expectations? also im sure yall are going to ask for all kinds of data but i dont have a scan tool. so i cant really give that much info.

You have a good air flow system in the heads and the cam to open the valves. Even the turbo is good for some decent power but you are choking the whole air-in-air-out system with a stock IC and a stock downpipe. You need to get the air moving alot faster with less restrictions to utilize the boost your are trying to make.

You really dont need a front mount. A good stock location stretch IC will do the trick. A bigger downpipe wont hurt either.

After rereading your original post you need to run more boost to make any significant power with your setup. 22-24 psi will wake the dyno up. Get some race fuel in that thing and go back or buy the best thing since slice bread: Alky injection kit. Every pound of boost is good for a 7% increase in horsepower. Do the math.:smile:

yea an alky kit is on the wish list! but i dont really want it tuned for race gas i want the best numbers for 93oct cause i drive this thing everyday.

My 009's (42.5 lb) and alchy do fine at 24 psi. Will be upgrading to 60's as soon as I get my new chip. Our cars were (under) rated at 245 HP from the factory, so you are right on the money with only 15 psi boost.

yea an alky kit is on the wish list! but i dont really want it tuned for race gas i want the best numbers for 93oct cause i drive this thing everyday.

When you run the alky kit, it allows you to run 93 octane but helps quench knock at a preset PSI level when boost comes on. A cheaper alternative to running race fuel all the time.

With heads and cam. you're down about 50HP at 15psi. I would think. :frown:

What chip what timing?

What kind of dyno.?

Any knock?

to 413turbo- im in Hartselle just 20min south of Decatur. to salvagev6 what you mean down 50hp? do i need to up the boost? as for the chip timing i really dont know. its one from Eric... in know it doesnt help that i dont have any scantool info. as for the dyno it was a "Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer".

Attachments

• dyno11.jpg
    dyno11.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 331
more info.

Attachments

• dyno12a.jpg
    dyno12a.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 337
  • dyno13.jpg
    dyno13.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 331
  • afr use.jpg
    afr use.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 326
13:1 AFR seems kinda lean, but you saw less hp with more fuel.

Wonder why they stopped the test at less than 5k rpm?

You have a TT, I would try more timing once you get a scan tool to verify knock.

I don't know why it wouldn't pull more rpms bout 5 is all I could get. The dyno guy said sumthin bout using the dyno break. What kind of scantool can adjust the timing?

To take advantage of your turbo, cam, heads, downpipe--you need FLOW MORE AIR. NONE of your Mods are giving you this--so all you have is a stickish performer,,,BUT with a lot of potential--providing you can get more air into engine...

Even a Dutt-neck IC, would help--but especially a stock-location stretch IC--or even a front-mount. But you're still a long way from being able to take real advantage of a FMIC... Alky is your best bang for the buck to allow increases in both boost & timing--both significant power-adders...

A modern TTweak chip allows you to add/subtract timing by plenty--about 9 degrees...

So you need a bit more of the basics to really push some nice power.

1. scantool

2. A nice 3"/3.5" DP, intercooler upgrade.

3. Then I would go for 60# injectors+chip, alcohol, push boost 22-24#'s until you see knock.

You will see some nice numbers, remember the TA-49 has been in LOW 11s 1/4 miles. so the power is there.

thanks a lot guys i greatly appreciate the help. i will get a scan tool this week and work on getting a down pipe thanks again guys!

Heres a reply about comparing chassis Dynos. Maybe you wont feel as bad after reading it. :smile:

21) I went to a Mustang dyno and they said theirs reads low, but you say yours reads low. Is this just some trick used by tuners?

The Dyno Dynamics is known throughout the industry as being the "heartbreaker" dyno - because it breaks the heart of every man that thinks he has 500 hp when he really has 350. The Dyno Dynamics reads lower than the Mustang. It reads WAY lower than a Dynojet. It reads WAY lower than a Dynapack (which actually reads too high on tip-in). The closest in numbers (at low HP) is the mustang, but using the above example, the same 300hp car was dyno'd back to back on a Dyno Dynamics 450 LowBoy (what we have) and a Mustang AWD500E (what some other guys have), and that 300hp rated car consistently read 223 on the Dyno Dynam ics and 249 on the Mustang. One hour apart, exact same car, same town, same altitude, etc.

24) How do I compare my pulls to Mustang Dyno, or a Dynojet, or a Dynapack?

Every dyno is different. If you want dynojet or mustang-ish #s you have to multiply by 1.18 or so, 1.25+ for DynaPack.

I did over 300 on the dynojet in Trussville. Stock turbo, Duct neck, 3in DP. I had heard that Trackmaster's dyno reads lower but don't know many people that have used StaticX's. There will be a new dyno opening up in Hueytown soon if you just want to see how different dynos read.

15#s of boost what did you expect ?? Prob a 15 sec run at the track with street tires.. maybe 14s with some DR's. :cool: