E-85 and AKLY injection..Please report Mr RonBuick :D

bsdlinux

Just Another BLACK Car
Ok Ron your turn.>> :D I don't use any alky injection on the white car yet. I could see where it would help me in the summer but I have doubts about the winter, especially when IAT temps get below 60. So tell us in what conditons you use the alky and how it reacts with the E-85 vs say 93 ;)

Just had a good long talk with a very well known person, and he said no way will a single in-tank pump support 83lber's at WOT with my combo and we also had a long talk on E-85, I have been kicking this around for some time, I'm going back to 009's and gas and alky for the time being, so I got my 83's up for sale along with my TT chips, one for alky and one for E-85. But I will continue to follow this forum
and one never knows what I will do in the future.

Ron

Tom, are you saying that I would be safe with 83's and Red's pump at WOT
on E-85 with ported heads, PT-52, and Tony"s stretched intercooler running at 117mph in the 1/4?? with a TT chip?

Ron

It all depends on how much air you can move through the motor.
Conrad C.

I'm moving air, just want to be sure I have enough fuel to go with it, so again
I had a talk today with one of the best in the Buick scene, and he says one single in tank pump will not supply enough fuel with his pump running 83's at
WOT with my set up on E-85, do I beleive him, you bet your A%& I do, and his name is not Green.

Ron

So why not get another 340 and a twin pump hangar and keep the E85 train rolling?

FWIW, just filled up today at $3.79.

It's not the injector size that determines fuel pump capacity. The critical measure is how much fuel you are flowing with those injectors (duty cycle). If you run 83's at 50% duty cycle, now you are only flowing 42lb/hr, not 83lb/hr.

I have run 83's, 95's, and 120lb/hr injectors easily on my car with a single Walbro pump. But my car only needs 42lb/hr per injector of flow, so the 120lb injectors are only at 35% duty cycle (this is on gasoline).

If you're running 83lb injectors, you'll start to outrun the single Walbro at roughly 65-70% duty cycle. If your car needs 83lb/hr worth of flow, then the single Walbro definitely won't cut it.

A single Walbro "should" take you to low 11's at close to 120mph in 1/4 on E-85. However, we're all learning together on this E-85 stuff and I'm sure we'll get more definitive answers in the near future.:smile:

I'm not sure how this thread got off topic. :confused: In regards to my original question :biggrin:

Eric I agree. I was also taking into consideration that Ron also has ALKY on that car which should give about 10-15% wiggle room. Maybe he is not using that with the E-85.

Ron - The time in your signature. You ran that with what setup??

105 octane give or take a point or two and alky injection, not on E-85, I had mentioned in a earlier post that was before I started fooling around with the E-85, but the car ran just as strong or stronger on the E-85, when I turned on the alky on the lowest setting at 23lbs boost the car nosed over, turn off the alky and I felt like I just turned on the afterburner, car picked power tremendously, and why not the dbl. pumper, almost 600.00 that right now I can not afford, I did pop the headgasket and just got my heads back yesterday, so I'm going back to a conservative set up and race maybe only once a year at our local track and just drive the car like I have been , week ends only, I only put maybe a 1-2k miles a year on it, getting old and just want to enjoy driving more instead of racing. Hope that makes sense to some of you.

Ron

Tom, are you saying that I would be safe with 83's and Red's pump at WOT
on E-85 with ported heads, PT-52, and Tony"s stretched intercooler running at 117mph in the 1/4?? with a TT chip?

Ron

NO! I believe you will max out a single intake pump in a hurry with e85 and your setup IMO.

Tom, that is why at least for the moment I'm going back to my old 009's and
TT chip for alky, injectors are easy to R&R, so when and if I get a little extra dollars I will slip in a Dbl pumper and put back the 83's and see what happens.

Ron

Why not just run the 83's and alky until you get a better pump or try out the 83's with e85 and alky on top, just keep an eye on your afr.

The fuel system (including the injectors, pump, pressure regulator, fuel rails, fuel filter(s), supply line and return line) has to be able to meet (exceed) the fuel flow and fuel pressure demands of the engine. As the engine makes more H.P., you will need more fuel flow. As the boost goes up, you will need more fuel pressure. You can leave the 83's in there with the existing pump AS LONG AS you don't let the engine's fuel needs exceed the fuel systems capacity (ie...keep the boost down and don't make more H.P.). Just remember, the injectors cannot flow fuel that the pump cannot push through the system! You really need to monitor the A/F ratio and fuel pressure all the time! Especially when under boost!

Conrad C.

ps...I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the hood (Cotton sells an affordable bracket for this purpose) so you can make sure you don't run out of fuel. If you are not running FAST (or similar), you need to use a scanning device to keep tabs on things. BTW, E85 requires ~30% more fuel flow than gasoline. It will take MORE fuel pressure to push 30% more fuel flow through the fuel lines.