You can type here any text you want

E 85 change question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

michael evans

Generally what is needed to change from gasoline to E 85 in an already heavily modified 231 ?

E85 requires a 40% increase in VOLUME to make the same horsepower.

You will need bigger injectors. For a heavily modified 231 sounds like 120 pph at least.

Fuel pump upgrade. Bigger double pumpers and supporting wiring to handle the voltage demands.

You might be able to get away with the stock lines but to play it safe -8 supply and -6 return.

One place to get all of it?

Call Nick Micale.

That is enough for very low 11's. You need to monitor the duty cycle at a safe 11.0 A/F ratio to see where your limit is. Lines are fine if the pumps are not ran together full time.

That is enough for very low 11's. You need to monitor the duty cycle at a safe 11.0 A/F ratio to see where your limit is. Lines are fine if the pumps are not ran together full time.

Last time the car was ran at the track, it did 10.81 ET . More upgrades has been done since then.

Have Turbo tweak's 6.1 chip with alcohol injection

Have 83 pound injectors and dual electric pump now are the factory lines not big enough to flow the E-85 ? I can understand the control chip.

After a couple dozen or more e-85 conversions on GN's, we learned a lot, and are still learning!

A prime example of a TR with dual in-tank pumps and stock lines put out 525 RWHP on the dyno, and ran 10.2 at the track. This is a street car we drove home from the dyno with the AC operating!

The car had 120# injectors with the duty cycle at a low 60%, so your injectors, as well as stock lines, should be fine at the very low 10's.

We have discussed many situations like your's in the e-85 forum, and a visit there will provide you with lots more info to help with your ultimate performance goals. :)

You have never mentioned your goals or usage, street, strip or both, so you really need to evaluate and address them before you jump into a new build.

After a couple dozen or more e-85 conversions on GN's, we learned a lot, and are still learning!

A prime example of a TR with dual in-tank pumps and stock lines put out 525 RWHP on the dyno, and ran 10.2 at the track.

Dang...525 got you a 10.2? What was the weight of the vehicle?

Dang...525 got you a 10.2? What was the weight of the vehicle?

This Limited is a full-weight car with a legal roll bar and some extra reinforcing and of course was and is street legal! :)

LIMITED.jpg

This Limited is a full-weight car with a legal roll bar and some extra reinforcing and of course was and is street legal! :)

View attachment 286717

That car has been a monster for a long time. Not questioning your work at all. The math doesn't add up for it though. I believe the ET but I think the Dyno is underrating the cars power. Also, what pumps were in that double pumper? What was the base fuel pressure?
I know some of this may be trade secrets but I am picking your brain to help others. I've been those numbers on E-85 as well but used more injector and duty cycle on a rich/safe tune. Full weight 85 T-Top car with stock wheels, with a ton of stereo equipment. BG scale 3940 or 3960lbs with me in it weighing 220lbs.

It had 2 of Red's fuel pumps, and base fuel pressure was set at 60 psi.

The dyno boost was 23-24 psi, track was 26-27 psi with a TE-45A using a Garrett exhaust housing.

We have discussed many situations like your's in the e-85 forum, and a visit there will provide you with lots more info to help with your ultimate performance goals. :)

You have never mentioned your goals or usage, street, strip or both, so you really need to evaluate and address them before you jump into a new build.

New to the T type and 231 but not to boost. I sold my Procharged-all aluminum-Buick V8 Skylark and jumping in.

I will visit the section as it came up at my trip to a local speed shop as an option.

It is a street car that I can drive to the track, turn up the boost and run mid to low 10s.

Back