You can type here any text you want

E85 conversion opinions and advice needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87-WE2

Back in business!!
I have decided I'm going to quit toying with E85 and go ahead and fully convert. After having discovered that my fuel pump is "not keeping up" with fuel demand, I just bought a Racetronix double pumper with Walbros, the improved grounds, a 7PSI Hobbs switch, and AN fittings on the sender (Just in case).

I'm hoping I haven't put the cart before the horse so to speak. I'm sure I will get many opinions that I need bigger injectors. At this point, I'm pretty sure I DON't need them based on the level of "stock-ness" that my powertrain is. I know that eventually, I will be upgrading to about 120's or so (maybe bigger), a WB02, Powerlogger, and possibly a modified ECM. My question is this:

In the meantime, until I get all the stuff listed above, should I be OK with the 60's, a TT E85 chip, and the new pumps? I would prefer to go ahead with the WB, PL, and bigger injectors along with the new chip, but I'm really afraid my wife will have an aneurism if I buy all that crap!! I just bought $700 worth of fuel pump, and I don't even care to admit how much on the new CCW's and tires!!! I have a couple of concerns however.

First, I'm thinking that the pumps may overwhelm my stock fuel system. I have stock lines, and I bought a 7PSI hobbs thinking that I needed the second pump to kick in sooner with E85. I'm sure that's probably true, but it is probably true "later on" when my motor has more demand for fuel volume. What are the chances that these two 255lph pumps will kick on at 8PSI and "over-volume" my fuel delivery system?

Second, without PL, how will I know if I'm maxing out my injectors? I've read on TurboTweak's website that Eric feels that 6o's are perfectly do-able with E85, and with my "close to stock" combo, I tend to agree with him for the short term. Another question that goes hand-in-hand with this is "How does running E85 affect O2 millivolt readings on the scanmaster"? Do I need to keep O2's where they normally read with pump gas, or aim for higher or lower O2 readings with E85?

I know, I know... What I SHOULD do is go ahead and get the WB, PL, chip, and injectors, but like I said, my wife would probably shoot me if I did (with the new Glock 26 I just won in a raffle!!). I'm not worried about having to buy a chip & injectors later; I can always pass the ones that I have off as "failed" later on if I need to. I just bought the 60's and I know I can sell them (and the chip) here because they work fine. I'm really looking for opinions and advise from the E85 gurus on whether I should be OK with 60's, stock turbo, plenty of fuel pump, and no PL or WB for a little while.

Thanks for any and ALL input!!

Ask Eric if he can put the injector pulse width in your E85 chip instead of trouble codes. Ask him what the danger level is in that parameter. my laptop is down so i cant review any files to see what is the limitation. Yes, even on E85 8 psi turn on will likely be too much for your car. Use race fuel O2 targets.

What about running with only one pump right now temporarily??

Or maybe getting a 15 psi hobbs?

I hate that i ordered too much pump!!!

just run one pump for now. when u see you need more fuel either be injectors or pump plug in the hobbs switch

Would Racetronix not give you an exchange toward a single sender and pump? If it has not been installed I can't see why not.

No need for that IMOP. get the double pumper and only run one pump for now. its not going to hurt anything and it will leave you room to grow. you get a single then your going to kick yourself in the ass later down the road for not getting the double.

you will max the 60's well before the pump. you should be good to 12.00 maybe 11's with the 60's. we maxed then right at high 11's on e85.

Would Racetronix not give you an exchange toward a single sender and pump? If it has not been installed I can't see why not.

I haven't asked Racetronix about exchanging. It was my decision to buy the double pump and I figured I'd stick with it. I know I should have thought this through further before going with the DP, but my idea was to buy the pump ONCE. The Walbro that's on there now is pretty old (I think about 10 or so) and my plan was just to buy the pump(s) once rather than replace what I have, then later on go DP, just like Boost231 said above!

just run one pump for now. when u see you need more fuel either be injectors or pump plug in the hobbs switch

Now that I've established that I should be OK with running just one of the two pumps (and periodically switch out to even wear between them), I have to ask another question. If I have a stock turbo, will I EVER need a double pumper?? If I get this thing to where I'm maxing out the stock (which I THINK is about 27-28 PSI), will I even MAYBE need to hook up the vac line to the hobbs?? Maybe the answer to that question will come with info gathered from the eventual WB02 and powerlogger....

Thanks for your help, guys!!!

with the stock turbo on e85 i really dont see you ever needing the second pump. then again if you had a killer built motor you might need it. with a stock motor stock turbo im going to say NO.

As far as switching back and forth on the pump for even wear. no need for that just run the one and leave it.

Thanks for the input! I guess I just bought too much fuel delivery!! I guess I'll be in the market for PL and WB02 soon so I don't go boom. Once I get the hang of working with both of those, I'll try to burn more fuel!!!

What would make me have to go DP? A big-a$$ turbo? Porting the heads? I know that porting the heads will cause more flow and therefore afford a lower boost pressure in a lot of cases (depending on the flow capacity of the turbo). Am I on the right track here?

with what you have a turbo would more then likely max your injectors out. once you see pressure falling off its time to get the aecond pump to kick in. heads turbo etc will make your car want more fuel

Eric told me a single 255 liter pump would max out 60s. So likes other said you dont need the 2nd pump with 60's. So the 60s are holding you back at this point. I think with E85 the 120lb injectors are the way to go. Just need a modded ECM. Then you can grow into it. Ported heads are highly recomended. :)

Thanks fellas. Im just going to go for installing the dp, but not hook up vac to the hobbs for now. Maybe after a little time i'll get the pl, wb, 120's, heads ported, bigger turbo, ea trans, wash the dog, do my homework, feed the hog....

Back