You can type here any text you want

Easiest way to bend metal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Installing these swaybar under the hood and I would like to bend one side about 1/8th of and inch so that it sits more flush with the body once installed. I can probably do it by manhandling it. However I want to refrain from that without any dents, hammer marks etc…..I was thinking maybe to heat it. Thoughts are appreciated
IMG_3537.jpeg

please it in a vise between two peaces of wood
if you don't have a vise maybe a shiny stainless washer and manhandle it

An 1/8th inch is nearly nothing. A vise and wood is good.

Grip it between the ribs with the wood block on one side and a piece on the back side.
Keep the wood thickness to a minimum so it doesn't deform.
Make sure the ribs are not in contact with the vise jaws.
Vise it and pull/push whichever way it needs to go.
It looks like it's a "chrome won't get you home" finish...No heat!

I'm pretty sure this is why everyone needs a BIG crescent wrench and possibly why the xl crescent was invented. Get that crescent on the tab so it is a handle, tighten to snug it up, and find a fulcrum to "adjust it". Might need as rag on the fulcrum to avoid some tattle tail marks and maybe a rag on that tab under the crescent jaws. Just remember, the more you bent it around the weaker the metal gets. For all we know it is bent that way to "preload" whatever it is bolting to.

Installed this today, worked perfectly and I can see it coming in handy for other projects
IMG_3555.jpeg

A vice is definitely very handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_190100.jpg
    IMG_20200711_190100.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Back