You can type here any text you want

easiest way to boost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jfmiller003

Ive got a 1979 base regal I swapped a 87 109 production reman into, with a high rise and a 1404 edelbrock 500 cfm carb.

buickforum.jpg

What is the easiest, cheapest way to get some boost rolling?

For you a 150-200 shot of N2o. Or a supercharger
Starting with what you have it will not be both cheap or easy to equip a turbo and run with boost.

Boost, cheap, and easy don't go together unless you plan on replacing the engine quickly.;)

Pull it out and drop in an LS motor. Or, buy a 3.8 SFI engine complete with computer and wiring harness, intercooler, trans, rear end, oh hell, just buy a Turbo Buick.

Cheapest and fastest way to power on your engine is a NOS Super Power Shot system. Use the 100HP jets, and no more, and you will be OK and amazed at the power increase. Any more nitrous and you are asking for problems, unless you build the engine with forged internals and get a dedicated fuel system and run race gas.

I'm surprised by the answers above. I would suggest getting the turbo, right-side exhaust maniffold and downpipe from an 86/87 Turbo motor and set up a blow thru turbo. Of course it's not that easy - you will need to get the AC compressor and alterntor out of the way, but that's one route.

Or get a '79 factory draw-thru set up. You can often find good deals for compete set up.

Something I wrote up a long time ago:
http://www.beforeblack.net/conversion.htm
http://www.beforeblack.net/blowthru.htm

I agree with rich, the cheapest way if you want a turbo is the draw thru setup. You can get the parts for fairly cheap, and all you have to swap is the exhaust manifolds, intake , turbo, carb, and run a oil feed line (maybe a few other things i forgot) . https://sites.google.com/site/beforeblackracing/intakes just make sure you get the correct intake because way back ago i had the wrong intake on my car. Everyone is right a nitrous kit is way cheaper and easier...

I can sell you either if your interested. the set up for blow thru or a set up for draw thru. I have both im looking to get rid of... id do it while im in the mood too.

NOS really is the cheepest' way to do it. Buicks really suck without boost or high compression. we have all been there! seriously!

sorry to get off track, but wow AJ how did you get 117 likes.... i got one
i guess, i have not been on here for a while..

AJ had his wife get an account so he can have her load up "likes" LOL. I know the guy personally and hardly like him J/K. But seriously, AJ, call me about the blow through stuff. And I need for you to look at a turbo I recently bought at a swap meet. Sorry to intrude.

So to the OP, boost + cheap + easy = not really. Anything can be done but you must determine what you are willing to sacrifice. The easiest way would be buy a complete turbo car but it isn't too cheap. The cheapest way (assuming you scrounge) is to go blowthru or drawthru but neither are particularly easy (parts, assemble, tune, tune, tune ...) First need to ask yourself what are your goals. If you have no idea where you are going then how do you get there? Track car, street sleeper, weekend warrior, full-on race car, ??? It makes a big difference on the best direction to take the car. Also mechanical skills are a major factor. If you love to tinker and have lots of time, build the car yourself. If this is not the case, buy a completed car and learn to tune it, keep it consevative, and enjoy it.

OK, for all of those who got this far in the post, THIS is what a "like" worthy post looks like :)

lol... i get so many likes cause im always around tossing my .02$ cents in. mostly for smart ass completly useless comments.

Fuzzy, messgae on the way!

A.j.

109 block ready for boost or spray finally got it to run right

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406575830688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406575830688.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 100
Almost done with my blow through setup

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406575936877.jpg