Eaton Supercharger on 87 TR engine

Sixxshot87

Can a Eaton M90 or M67 bolt on to a 87 TR engine (8445 Heads & 109 block). Messing with the idea/daydream of a supercharger in addition to the turbo

For what purpose? Modern turbos cam spool very fast and deliver tons of power. Twin charging usually proves to be a tuning nightmare.

yup it can be done, works alright, turbo makes more power though.

never done it with EFI though..... so I dunno.... what tuning is like in that.... but not bad with a carb.

With enough money all things are possible :D but again the question is why? With the right combo a turbo will make more power than you can use. If you just want to be different though then go for it. If you are talking about the factory 3800 superchargers then I believe those cars had different heads and you may have to change heads but I think the intake manifolds have the throttle bodies on the opposite end from what is needed in our cars and that will be your biggest challenge.

Thanks for thinking outside of the box, Sixxshot87. A good reference for super- and turbo-charged engines is Jeff Hartman's book, How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems. Chapter 25 has a lengthy write-up on an MR2 where this was done.

Those superchargers are for the 3800 engine, I am fairly certain. You would need 3800 heads, different headers, different intake, and the accessory brackets would have to be modified to work (not totally sure about this last part...are the accessory bolt holes the same from 3.8 to 3800 heads?) The headers and intake might work from a TTA...?

Not sure how a centrifugal blower would work out. Would a centrifugal blower provide the instantaneous boost that a roots style blower provides? Perhaps the installation of a centrifugal blower would be less hassle than the 3800 blower.

Paul Lohr

if your going to do it put a whipple or kenny bell on it.those small eatons build heat way to fast.

I made an adapter to bolt an eaton to a stock 86/87 intake, but i never ran it so i have no idea how it works. i know where to get the rotors that have been tipped so you can use the blower in a draw thru configuration. the 90s T-bird eatons are real popular to use as well. A good friend of mine who runs a Chevy luv hybrid as well, has a centrifugal blower on his buick, but we ditched it last summer in favor of a turbo and he went faster. right now, I run a wieand 144 on my 4.1 and its pretty stought off the line, about equal to my turbo, but it took alot more boost and using e85 to get the small weiand up to speed with the turbo. My build right now is centering around using a 6-71 i converted from a tractor. I hope that the larger size and stage 2 heads will help me catch up to the faster turbo cars.

With the new blower tech on the screw type blowers I just thought it would be cool to see a twin charged Buick even if it is of course not necessary. I was looking at the tech used in the TVS series blowers like on the CTS-V and the ZR1 and apparently the efficiency is up to 76% which from what I remember is about exactly the same as most turbos. Again I get I don't NEED this but I think it would look cool. I like the idea of really being able to tighten up the converter significantly, running unusually large single turbos on a street car and not needing some over the top setup should I ever run races on a pro tree. I got the Idea from looking at group B rally cars like the Lancia Delta S4. It just looks like something fun that could really make our power bands an even bigger advantage than it already is. And yes I am open to other supercharger ideas as well like a pro charger or some thing. Just the WTF factor would be worth it.

I know it was avery honest question.
And I would have no idea if it could be done so have no opinion there.
Although, since I hear they landed spacecraft on Mars, I'm gussing you could find a way to bolt on a sueprcharger to a Buick Regal motor.

But - I dunno.

The secret sauce is the LC2 Engine.
LC2 in it's SFI Turbocharged configuration.
It only took most manufacturers 25 years to create as much power; albeit most of them do it with hemi this and hemi that, and cubic inches.

The LC2 is what makes these cars so special.
It's an amazing powerplant, with one turbo.
In its day and today.

The Cobras and the Vettes all still need to add on $5000 worth of supercharger just to keep pace.

And sadly, the LC2 lives no more, so I'm sort of a tradionalist there.
I like paying tribute to it by keeping it in it's more basic form.

But hey - at least it wasn't asking about putting a LT this or LS that in it.
That's sacrilidge!

And as nice as the L67 Supercharged powerplant is, it's "not a Turbo"
Which would then require re-badging everything..
And those hood liners are too expensive!
;-)

I know it was avery honest question.
And I would have no idea if it could be done so have no opinion there.
Although, since I hear they landed spacecraft on Mars, I'm gussing you could find a way to bolt on a sueprcharger to a Buick Regal motor.

But - I dunno.

The secret sauce is the LC2 Engine.
LC2 in it's SFI Turbocharged configuration.
It only took most manufacturers 25 years to create as much power; albeit most of them do it with hemi this and hemi that, and cubic inches.

The LC2 is what makes these cars so special.
It's an amazing powerplant, with one turbo.
In its day and today.

The Cobras and the Vettes all still need to add on $5000 worth of supercharger just to keep pace.

And sadly, the LC2 lives no more, so I'm sort of a tradionalist there.
I like paying tribute to it by keeping it in it's more basic form.

But hey - at least it wasn't asking about putting a LT this or LS that in it.
That's sacrilidge!

And as nice as the L67 Supercharged powerplant is, it's "not a Turbo"
Which would then require re-badging everything..
And those hood liners are too expensive!
;-)

you're saying that a newer Cobra or Vette off the showroom floor need at least $5k worth of work to keep up with a stock 87 TR as it came off the showroom floor?
what are you smoking, and do you have enough for everyone?
the LC2 was a damn good engine when it came out- in the 80's. they used it as a development test bed for the tech that was coming later, but technology has marched on and you can make more power with better fuel economy and emissions today in smaller engines without the need for a turbo at all. the 300+ hp that the base V6 engines in the new Camaros and Mustangs prove this.

regarding mixing turbos and superchargers: i think they do it on some diesel applications, but they are also looking for 100+ psi of boost, too.. if you do try it, why not just go full Rick Dobbertin and put 2 turbos with 2 superchargers, and then a few stages of nitrous for good measure:

hrdp-1109-01+twin-charged-chevy-350-engine.jpg

agh yes... the J-2000............ I remember that car.

Dobbertin was the godfather of Draw-Thru tech........... I miss his stuff.

I love the days of wreched excess. I bet that car ran like poop especially for the money involved but it sure was cool to look at. I still have that issue of Hot Rod. I love looking at his creations. Very creative guy.

I love the days of wreched excess. I bet that car ran like poop especially for the money involved but it sure was cool to look at. I still have that issue of Hot Rod. I love looking at his creations. Very creative guy.

what you think twin turbos feeding twin superchargers is excess?

maybe......... :D

His Nova was a 10 second ride with the same type of induction.:D

Whatever happened to Rick Dobbertin and Mark Grimes? They were building some of the nicest Extreme rides back in the days..

ks

Whatever happened to Rick Dobbertin and Mark Grimes? They were building some of the nicest Extreme rides back in the days..

ks

Dobbertin made a submarine/offroad truck thing out of a stainless steel tanker trailer and took it around the world... think he sold the J2000 long ago due to divorce or something..

Dobbertin made a submarine/offroad truck thing out of a stainless steel tanker trailer and took it around the world... think he sold the J2000 long ago due to divorce or something..
Wait the same guy who built that J2000 is the same guy who made that amphibious POS that crossed the ocean out of a milk tanker that I saw on discovery channel a few years back?! Wow.....

On a side note, twin-charging will only look good and make the car interesting, not necessarily give you more performance.
As someone had mentioned previously in another thread, a large turbo matched to an appropriate torque converter, exhaust, intake and chip will out perform a supercharger with ease.