You can type here any text you want

Egr help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scrobbyd

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to block EGR while intake manifold is on the car? Like a moron, I had the hole inside of the intake welded up but didn’t know anything about the hole where the actual EGR sits. So now its blowing exhaust through my EGR cover plate and have chunked my ole EGR. Any ideas of how to plug that hole without the removal of my intake? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

you cold weld it closed from the outside would probably be your best bet or you could use some high temp rtv. When i put my blockoff plate on I just used high temp rtv around the edges as a gasket and it doesn't leak at all.

Do you still have the EGR hold down bracket?
The problem with the block off plate is the design of it. Only has one bolt hole and it is at the bottom, putting all of the clamping force at the bolt and nothing for the top. mine has now leaked 3 different times even with high temp RTV and a gasket. While at BG it was leaking again. Jack Cotton and I found an EGR clamp and sqeezed the ears together so that they would hit the top of the plate and place equal pressure top and bottom. Quick fix but definitely not pretty and permanent. I am working on a different clamp for it now.

Bryan

I took an old egr valve...cut the diaphram section off...welded the exhaust hole shut in the base...clamped it back on the manifold with the oem clamp...looks nice...no leaks :)

I took an old egr valve...cut the diaphram section off...welded the exhaust hole shut in the base...clamped it back on the manifold with the oem clamp...looks nice...no leaks :)

hello peoples; I'd like to see how nice if looks. If any pics are available that is?
IBBY

Do you still have the EGR hold down bracket?
The problem with the block off plate is the design of it. Only has one bolt hole and it is at the bottom, putting all of the clamping force at the bolt and nothing for the top. mine has now leaked 3 different times even with high temp RTV and a gasket. While at BG it was leaking again. Jack Cotton and I found an EGR clamp and sqeezed the ears together so that they would hit the top of the plate and place equal pressure top and bottom. Quick fix but definitely not pretty and permanent. I am working on a different clamp for it now.

Bryan

Yea, this was actually my current setup. A couple weeks ago I noticed a little knock coming from under my valve cover on my brand new motor. So Ive been disgusted with the whole car. So anyway I finally decided to retorque my head bolts night before last and maybe track down the knocking noise. I'm telling you I had at least 5 different sets of ears and all where pointing at something under driver side valve cover. Now to my relieve the block off plate was leaking by with the setup you mentioned above. As of now I'm trying PittsKid RTV idea without the egr clamp. RTV said to set 24 hours, so around noon today I'll give it a try and keep y'all posted. Thanks and hopefully we can find a fix without pulling intake and having it welded.

even if you decide to weld it you should still be able to weld it without taking the intake off. just weld the open port and grind it smooth.

Red RTV worked for me. Glad to see your still alive and can use a computer.:D;)

Red RTV worked for me. Glad to see your still alive and can use a computer.:D;)

Hey Ed, what's going on man? Yea trying to recoup my computer skills and get my heart back into my car. Just dropped $1300 on getting the rear end overhauled and should be ready to test her out now that heads have been retorqued. Once I get another ECM I'd like to hook up with you and get Power Logger set up. Also if you don't mind let me know what I need to order as for O2 & fuel pressure for PL.
Thanks

hello peoples; I'd like to see how nice if looks. If any pics are available that is?
IBBY

EGRBlockOff002.jpg

hello peoples; I have to agree it looks nice. Did you use a sealer with it? I had the hood up on mine today just to see what's happening with the EGR valve. It's a stock EGR set up and there's are more than one vac. line that seems to be working togeather with the valve. There is a couple of Tees also. Since my TT chip does'nt use the valve I might just get rid of it also. But did you just plug all the vac. lines? I want a clean setup and not a bunch of blocked vac. lines.
How did you do it? thanks
IBB

I didn't use any sealer, just the stock gasket. Don't remember off the top of my head where I ran the vacuum line. I will check when I get home. This motor is in my 84' Hurst Olds so it is plumbed a little different.

Thanks everybody now I don't feel so quit so stupid for not having my hole welded while the intake was off the car. Went and took it for a spin yesterday no noise, so I gues RTV worked. Now I have a newer issue, but will start another thread. Thanks again for the help.

Back