Electroinc Exhaust Cutout ?

87 WE2

OK I HAVE AN ELECTRONIC EXHAUST CUTOUT ON MY GN MOUNTED TO A 3" TESTPIPE, AND I LIKE IT ALOT!:D

MY QUESTION IS, DOES OR HAS ANYONE TRYED TO MOUNT THAT THING IN A FENDER DUMP APPLICATION?:rolleyes:

IT LOOKS LIKE IT CAN BE MOUNTED BETWEEN THE EXHAUST ELBOW AND THE DUMP TUBE, WITH LONGER BOLTS.
BUT BEING THIN ALLUMINUM AND HAVEING THAT LITTLE MOTOR ATTATCHED TO THE DEVICE, CAN IT WITHSTAND THE HEAT OF THE EXHAUST & THE TURBO ITSELF?:confused:

ANY ONE HAVE ANY INPUT ON THIS?

And since we're on the subject, I have another question about it:

I've got a THDP (and the cat that came with it) running into a stock exhaust on my '87.

Can I use one of these cutouts in front of the cat (thus cutting into the bottom part of the THDP)?

Thanks.

Re: Re: Electroinc Exhaust Cutout ?

Originally posted by lyonsd
And since we're on the subject, I have another question about it:

I've got a THDP (and the cat that came with it) running into a stock exhaust on my '87.

Can I use one of these cutouts in front of the cat (thus cutting into the bottom part of the THDP)?

Thanks.

I think they call that a Jersey Dump. There's a pic of it here (MARK HUEFFMAN'S page):
http://www.buickgn.com/electricexhaustcutout.htm
Or better yet, here:
http://www.buickgn.com/jerseycutout.jpg

I just ditched my cat. I had Mr. Mease make me a nice SS "test" pipe with a dump. I haven't installed it yet, but once I do I'll put one of those electric cut outs on the end of it.

Jim

dump pipe

does anyone have an answer to my initinal question............ :eek:

Jersey dump

I believe we were the first to build a downpipe with a cutout directly at the bottom of the pipe, pretty cool, thats my pipe.

we can also build an integral wastegated downpipe with a "Y" at the top of the downpipe (direct shot right from the turbine housing for exhaust gases when cutout is opened) I have only done a few of these pipes for the locals, but they work very well. We only offer them in stainless (with the billet stainless integral wastegated flange and valve assy). you will be able to bolt your electric cutout directly to the top of the downpipe and we include a tube that will bolt directly to your E-cutout and exit through a 3.5" hole you must holesaw in your fenderwell :D the hole in the fenderwell is the only downfall. With this pipe you (again) will have a straight shot directly from the turbo, through cutout, and to atmosphere, less than a 30 degree bend.

I do not believe there is any way to mount the electric cutout to your stock elbow unless you hack a 3" hole in the side and weld on 3" pipe and flange, but at that point you will still be using the stock ****ty elbow and its a royal PITA to weld to the cast iron and have it hold up.

hope this gets ya there

<KM@>MPE;)

Mr. Tee, I'll say it again, "I love that blue!" Could you please give me the paint code?
I was wondering if you have any problems with that cutout leaking? I like the idea but it just seems like it would leak.:confused:

no leaks on my electric cutout. real tight butterfly.... i love it !!!!
nothing better than pulling alongside a potential kill and opening up the dump. you have the race won even before you take off... lol

DUMP

I ALREADY HAVE A FENDER DUMP, AND THE EXHASUT ELBOW IS ALREDY MODIFIED, AND THERE IS ALREADY A 3.5" HOLE IN MY FENDER WELL.

CAN THE ELECTRIC EXHAUST CUTOUT BE MOUNTED BETWEEN THE EXHAUST ELBOW AND THE DUMP TUBE GOING THROUGH THE FENDER WELL.
I LIKE THE FENDER DUMP, I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF IT WILL TAKE THE HEAT BEING SO CLOSE TO THE TURBO...............
THIS WAY I CAN SHUT IT IF I GET PULLED OVER FOR THE CAR BEING TO LOUD:) IT HAPPENS ALOT!!!!!!!

THANKS

The color is the Factory Light Blue Metallic...In fact today just installed the wheels I just bought from another turbo buick enthusiast...Check out the pics off the link at the bottom of my post (www) no leaks with the cutout either...

I don't see why you couldn't do it. My only concern would be the motor and wiring harness. You would need to insulate them with that header wrap stuff to keep it from melting. Do you have any pics of your current setup?