You can type here any text you want

Electronic boost gauges

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

I was looking to switch over to an electronic boost guage as opposed to my old VDO mechanical as these dam mechanicals make too much noise, and sound like they belong in a 40 year old beater. Not my style. I asked a reputable dealer what he thought of these gauges vs mechanicals and he said well the car references the map for it's boost calcuations, wouldn't that be good enough for you? I said that's a good point lol. So then I start looking up electrical boost gauges and started to see that they're still boost, they just change it over to electrical impulse instead. Well that defeats the entire purpose for me lol.

Do you guys know any electrical boost guages that don't reference boost at all, and use all electrical wires only? Or does this exist.

Power logger uses the MAP under the hood for boost ,it reads same as my mechanical.

I've had a VDO boost gauge forever and has never made ANY noise. The stock MAP sensor in our car is not an input to the ECM. Its only purpose was to provide a signal for the factory LED boost "gauge". There is no electrical gauge that can read boost without a boost pressure signal.

Yea. The boost pressure signal that once lit our factory boost gauges lol. You sure the MAP doesn't get utilized in our cars besides that silly little factory boost gauge? I got that info from a pretty reputable guy on here. And I thought there was a wire you could tap for boost on the scan master.

My Autometer sport comp II mechanical boost makes no noise. Its a vacuum / boost and response is instant. I have not owned an electronic boost gauge but the videos I've seen side by side show the electric gauges respond slower. I like my electric fuel pressure though.

In stock form I am positive the MAP sensor only drives the LED boost gauge. It is not an input to the ECM and the standard Scanmaster can not read boost. If using the power logger the MAP sensor can be read but you need to put in a 3 bar sensor. The factory MAP sensor is a 2 bar.

my vdo gauge makes no noise that I've ever heard and my electronic guage gave up the ghost 10 years ago. :confused:

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 126
Yes the 3 BAR MAP is used for my ALKY
I forget how the signal gets to the Logger and Scanmaster but they read boost
I have three ways to see Boost all are so close I don't dough any (mechanical E-street and Logger)
I see nothing wrong with a electoral boost gauge
I cant be leave you dont have a ALKY kit

I use the Autometer Elite series gauges and I get zero noise from them

Bryan

I've never heard of a boost gauge making noise, what kind of noise are you hearing??

I've never heard of a boost gauge making noise, what kind of noise are you hearing??

It's almost like the lense is glass and it's loose. So I put pressure on it while activating it and no dice-it still makes noise. So I put a piece of hose in my ear and on the lense of the gauge then got on it. The noise is the coil spring inside rattling. Less than 3000 miles on this gauge. Ordered a brand new one, put it in, exactly the same noise. Started reading about this noise and I'm not the only one that gets this noise from mechanical boost gauges. This is why I'm inclined to try out an electrical version.

And who's' the guy that hit the "agree" button on the TurboDave's post? What, you agree with him as if... you don't believe me or something? lol. Almost like "Yea! What noise? I don't hear any noises on my gauge. You must be all jacked all jacked up or something." lol.

Last edited:
I'm the agree guy. I was just agreeing that I've never heard a boost gauge make noise, or any gauge at that matter. I never know what type of person is posting on here, but after your last reply, you actually understand how to trouble shoot and how things work.

And, I also didn't look at your post count of almost 5000.:eek:

Lol. For the most part if you have a Buick for more than 2 years or so, you're either going to get really good at troubleshooting/diagnosis, or end up in the institution, or turning to drugs and alcohol.

Lol. For the most part if you have a Buick for more than 2 years or so, you're either going to get really good at troubleshooting/diagnosis, or end up in the institution, or turning to drugs and alcohol.
Great, now I have a reason for my excessive drinking!:D

I monitor boost levels and wideband on my scanmaster now. I purchased a 3 bar map to monitor boost on my PL not knowing that I could monitor it on my scanmaster. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the boost gauge and wideband to make room for some other gauges.

Back