Electronic wastegate "boost" controllers...are they really that great?

Darth Fiero

3800 Series II Turbo
I need some consistant boost control and my spring loaded manual boost control valve is not doing the job without boost spike. Probably due to the amount of vacuum line I had to run to put the manual adjuster within reach inside the car.

So now I am thinking electronic. I am using a 95 Bonneville PCM on my 3800 Series II Turbo and there are NO adjustments in the chip pertaining to boost solenoid duty cycle. Its either 100% or 0%, nothing between like the TR.

My friend had an older electronic boost controller in his 87 GN and I think it was an ADS or something. How good do those work? Any problem with boost spike or boost creep? How expensive are one of those units? How much adjustiblity can they offer?

Any other input anyone can offer? Thanks.

I was looking into the blitz and HKS contollers. They end up being way too expensive. HKS wants $450 for their evc4 and blitz is in the same price range. I think some companies sell base models for around $200. I personally am just going to buy the boost controller that ramchargers sell for $130 or close to that price.

BstC from Ramchargers should do what you need! All you need is a stock wastegate solenoid (the little gizmo on the passenger side valve cover) ;)

Oh, and a source of 12v, and a trigger from the TPS, and an input from the tranny's 3rd gear switch, and all's perfect!!

Originally posted by TurboDave
BstC from Ramchargers should do what you need! All you need is a stock wastegate solenoid (the little gizmo on the passenger side valve cover) ;)

Oh, and a source of 12v, and a trigger from the TPS, and an input from the tranny's 3rd gear switch, and all's perfect!!

it looks excactly like what i need! Dave, how much boost adjustibility does it give you? how much does it retard the boost once the 3rd gear wire is activated?

Originally posted by Darth Fiero
it looks excactly like what i need! Dave, how much boost adjustibility does it give you? how much does it retard the boost once the 3rd gear wire is activated?

Well, using the stock solenoid, you'll get about 7# of adjustability (just an internal limit of the solenoid's ability to "breath").
If you need more, like I did, you can opt to run two solenoids, in parallel. That gave me a little over 10# of boost adjustment. More than enough to get me up to the 25# I like running at the track.
I unhook (electrically) one solenoid for street use, that way my max is around 22# (good safety net for street gas).

How much it retards the boost when 3rd gear hits is totally adjustable from none to as much as you need. I find that adjusted mid way, gives me a nice 2.5-3# boost drop at the 3rd gear shift.

well im the only turbo american car in my circle of friends. which consits of a 12.2 eclispe, 11.9 civic hatch back, and 11.1 civic coupe....all of which are turbo, run 20+boost and all of which run the greedy profec B boost controller. and if i had the money i would get one too!