Emissions vs. bone stock chip?

SpeednV6

Fuel Pressure Gauges
Are these considered to be the same chips? If not, what's different and what do I need to do to pass emissions using a bone stock chip? I've passed Illinois testing using an Emissions chip, just wondering if I can do it again with the stock chip?

First, of course, is injector size - you can only use the stock chip with stock injectors or the 30 lb/hr green stripes. Second, back when most emissions tests were tailpipe sniffing at idle and 2000-2500 rpm, the emissions chips raised the idle speeds to 950 rpm or so (most states had a 1000 rpm max). This doesn't really matter with the dyno tests where the test is done under load at "speed". There are a few things that can help a little, but if your engine is in good shape you should pass with the stock chip.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did understand that with a stock chip, I needed stock injectors. Thanks again.

Like Carl says, the bone stock chip requires stock injectors (and you already know that). But regarding the comments about two speed idle, most states use a single twst out of the federal test procedure. Two speed idle seems to be the simplest, so that is what most states use. Now that NOx emissions are a problem on the west coast, then dyno testing became the test of choice. But even the CA test is one test out of the federal test procedure (FTP). I think AZ uses BAR30, which is accelerate to 30mph, decel to 0 and repeat the process two more times. That is another test in the FTP. Therefore, since most state use one or more test from the FTP, then theoretically, a vehicle in good condition should pass with stock injectors and chip.

I was at a tech seminar about six months ago with envirotest.and they said after february of 2007 illinios is going to stop testing cars older than 1996. They are gonna test obd 2 cars only.So lets pray they go through with that. that does not mean that we can alter any emission related components

This issue is confused by the fact that there were two chips for the '87. One was recalled for emissions reasons, so there are some cars with a "bone stock" emissions chip. I don't know what the original emissions problem was, but Carl probably does. (since he provided the info on both chips for GnTType.org, he did know at one time) :)