Emmissions Test for 1987 Vehicles in Texas

bsdlinux

Just Another BLACK Car
I'm assuming that starting Jan 2012 those of us in the counties required for the TSI emission test will not longer have to perform the test( Tailpipe sniffer ) and only a visual will apply? There are only a few counties in Texas that fall under the TSI regulations now. Travis county where I live is one of them. Any thoughts??

actually where i went they did not go by the year itself they went by the door sticker manufacturing date, so i was able to get out of it by a month.

Mine has been expired since July. Just no time to fool with putting the convertor on it so I'm waiting till jan. and will save me few bucks to boot.

87s will be in the clear Jan 1 2012. They are supposed to go by the VIN, no one should be looking at door stickers...

per...

Texas Administrative Code
TITLE 37
PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 23
VEHICLE INSPECTION
SUBCHAPTER G
VEHICLE EMISSIONS INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
RULE §23.93 Vehicle Emissions Inspection Requirements

(30) Twenty-four years old--refers to a vehicle when the vehicle model year is 24 years less than the current calendar year (current calendar year minus 24 years).

87s will be in the clear Jan 1 2012. They are supposed to go by the VIN, no one should be looking at door stickers...
Yippie, I've been expired since July, been too lazy to put the cat back on it :) I'll take it Monday to my favorite junk yard / inspection station :)
Where you at in FTW? I see a GN going down Hwy199 alot.

I wished mine had just been laziness :) I avoided the last two years of emissions testing by being broke and setting over at Jack's shop. lol

Fyi, I believe cars are still supposed to have the cat if it's 82 or 84 and newer, just not the actual tail pipe test. If they don't get under the car you should be fine. I found a 'hook up' and did neither after a couple shops did the tailpipe test and the car failed.

Fyi, I believe cars are still supposed to have the cat if it's 82 or 84 and newer, just not the actual tail pipe test. If they don't get under the car you should be fine. I found a 'hook up' and did neither after a couple shops did the tailpipe test and the car failed.

For the record, all passenger vehicles that came with a catalitic converter from 1975 up are required to have them on their cars, period. After the 25 YO period it's considered part of the exhaust and not part of the emmisions system. It is supposed to be there but because of the age it doesn't matter as much. I went through DFW's tesing program to become an inspector in 05.:biggrin:

Yes you do have to have it to pass the eye test. lol But most don't look...

Just did mine today on my day off :) No cat, no valve cover vent tube, just a breather...they didn't even open the hood..finally an easy inspection :D But my brake light kept coming on and off, they didn't care about that either :D

Powerbastard or vacuum Rob?
It's the powerbastard, I think the accumulator is toast...trying to decide if I want to go vac or not, afraid I may have no holding power at the line..verdict seems to be about half and half of those that liked it after converting.