You can type here any text you want

Enclosure experiment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
I am playing with this. I had some mdf left over from the last box so I figured what the heck. It has 2.8cuft totaling both chambers. Woofer is in the larger,one port vents the larger chamber,one port connects the chambers,and the 3rd port vents the smaller chamber. I had to flair the port ends as it got some way nasty port noise:frown: I made some ports with flares and got rid of the noise.
This gives you 2 port tunings. I think this was 25 from the large chamber and 42 from the other give or take.

Attachments

• abcbox 001.jpg
    abcbox 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 217
  • abcbox 002.jpg
    abcbox 002.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 219
Interesting. Never built one myself, but read about that type of enclosure (can't remember the correct name of the enclosure). Never heard of much luck in a car/truck. Let us know how it comes out.:confused:
John

I did the same enclosure a while back but I end up blowing the woofer.

If you want 2 different tunning frequency you a bandpass box is what you want to do. But I still think a standard ported enclosure sounds the best tuned at 30-40hz.

I have two jl 10w7's in a slot ported box sealed into my interior and it sounds better than the 3 12w6's it replaced. i think the key to making a gn sound good is NOT blowing them backwards into the trunk. this set up is very musical and very very loud and tight.

I really don't care for a band pass,not very musical. It works well,tried it in my wife's Expedition. Low and loud on 70w. Gonna play around with the port lengths and see what happens. I've done the sealed,isobarik,round ported,slot ported,just time for something different. Transmission Line enclosure next?:smile:

I have two jl 10w7's in a slot ported box sealed into my interior and it sounds better than the 3 12w6's it replaced. i think the key to making a gn sound good is NOT blowing them backwards into the trunk. this set up is very musical and very very loud and tight.

have any pics of what ya have?

Not backwards? I'd never guessed that, generally the more reflection on a sub the better. Maybe its the enclosure design, and not the whole theory for the car.

I also don't care for band pass boxes. Kinda one note wonders IMO. I've had great sounding systems with sealed, ported and IB. The next one is probably going to be AP.

Greg,
I've also had much better sounding systems (in G bodies) when sealing the front of the box to the interior. Subs sound more nautral and "tighter". Don't get me wrong. I've done plenty of ground pounding G bodies with subs facing backwards (or replacing the rear seat :tongue: ). But I'll gladly give up a few db to gain more sq. A T-type I sold many years ago (late 90's), the guy had to CUT the box and kicks out of the car.:eek: I had fiberglassed them in.:D Sadly, no pics remain from that install.

The system was an Old School build. Alpine 7909 headunit, LP PA-II, LP XO-2, Audio Control EQL, 2 Kicker C12's powered by a LP 3002, 4 Kicker C6's in custom door pods power by a LP 2202, Kicker 5 1/4" and 1" soft dome tweeter in custom kicks powered by a LP 952. All the LP had been modded by Ray Rayfield. LP mods

Don't forget about pics on your next build.:rolleyes: :tongue: :D I'm expecting something really :cool: !
John

AP is very cool, I still marvel at its simplicity when done correctly. My prob is where to put a 9 gallon tank for the air ride....It would go well on that raised portion, and the do a fiberglassed sealed enclosure else where. (pass side well) Fiberglass is earier to work with than that big ole steel air tank.
Anyone done 8" or 10" in the rear seat side wall like RC did 12" mid bass' back in the day? I have been toying w/ the notion of doing 8"s there and a single 15 sealed in the back.
Sorry for the off topic turn.....

I hooked it up to the surround sound tonight and it sounds great. I lengthened the port a little on the woofer side. I can cover 1 or both of the ports and it decreases the low end(without sounding like crap). You can tell each one is tuned differently too. Transformers was rattling all my wife's what-nots. Not bad for only 25-30w going to it.

Back