You can type here any text you want

Engine back in TTA #1078

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Put the engine back in the engine bay earlier today .... went well and with no complications ... easy does it ... ;)

So now the fun part is getting the transmission back in there, wireharness installed and a number of other bits and bobs installed before I can fire it up after my complete rebuild and blueprinting Can't wait :biggrin:

Primed the oil pump while still in the engine stand and got oil flowing through all push rods at the same time within seconds .... and no oil leaks anywhere :wink:

Attachments

• PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 275
  • PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 268
  • PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 268
Congrats Jan. I know you have to be excited and proud all at the same time. I will soon be in the same boat as my car is now back in the shop as the engine recieves it's final details.

Jan,
Looks great man! Who did the coating on the headers and how much?

Thanks, got my headers, downpipe, cross over and turbo neck thing cheramic coated inside out by Specialized Performance Coating in Arlington, Tx on one of my bussiness trips out there. Quick turnaround and great guy (Mike) to deal with. Paid I beleive $350 for the lot.

Congrats Jan. I know you have to be excited and proud all at the same time. I will soon be in the same boat as my car is now back in the shop as the engine recieves it's final details.

Yep, can't wait to turn the key on this new build ... just hope I have no issues and have to take it all apart again :eek: Hope things goes well with your build and you can get is started soon as well :)

Very nice Jan...your car will certainly be one of the top TTA's for sure...all your hard work and detail shows right down to the bolts...absolutely beautiful :cool:

Good luck on the start-up
Scott

Nice.. too bad they dont stay looking like that for long.

I've built way too many engines. The paint on the block starts fading, belt dust gets on the pulleys, the heat changes the way the aluminum looks, etc etc etc...

Never clean and fresh like when first assembled. Things like powder coating keep the maintenance down.. but heat cycling takes its toll on how things look.

Look at an low mile car and start paying attention to details..

Oh, your right, but the car itself( like someone mentioned) is detailed down to the bolts. The car as a whole will still look nice ....even if there is a little discoloration on the headers and DP. :)

It sure does look great, dont they all :)

I was wondering why you removed the front nose of the car, and noticed the engine hoist was boomed out all the way. Ive used a AC DELCO hoist and it clears the nose and will pick the motor out of the car without taking the hood off the car. Maybe in the future you could find one of those blue and grey hoists and i assume is why the nose is removed.

Let us know how it runs, looks great.

BW

I was wondering why you removed the front nose of the car, and noticed the engine hoist was boomed out all the way. Ive used a AC DELCO hoist and it clears the nose and will pick the motor out of the car without taking the hood off the car. Maybe in the future you could find one of those blue and grey hoists and i assume is why the nose is removed.

BW

Put the car on ramps and go from the side is another alternative:)

BW

Reach was the big issue, and getting a longer arm meant one that could not be folded and that also needed the car to sit higher so opted for this one and as I also had the total engine bay repainted and replace radiator and condenser at the same time it was not really much more work to remove the front bumper stuff.

Getting in from the side did not work either as I know some people do it this way.

Anyway worked out well and could get the engine out and back in there without too much hazzle and could leave the hood bolted in place just loosening the dampers and tilt it back slightly.

Wow! Great job Jan! I'll have to make a trip across the channel sometime to check it out! At least I'll get to see another TTA other than my own.:biggrin:

That looks awesome, how did you get everything so clean. I read that you had the headers coated, what about the valve covers?

That looks awesome, how did you get everything so clean. I read that you had the headers coated, what about the valve covers?

Thanks! Lots of elbow grease and many many hours :-) Valve Covers, turbo heat shield, up-pipe and MAF pipe all been powder coated silver. All brackets and most pulleys been powdercoated satin black. Intake and upper plenum been bead blasted then painted silver with a clearcoat layer resistant to fuel, oil etc. All hardware is ARP stainless. Headers, turbo elbow, cross over and downpipe cheramic coated. Wireharness complettly cleaned and the plastic tubing (whatever it's called) replaced. Engine block and heads been painted using Por15 black engine enamel.

Wow! Great job Jan! I'll have to make a trip across the channel sometime to check it out! At least I'll get to see another TTA other than my own.:biggrin:

Thanks, you are more than welcome to come and visit ... I'll get the other 5 TTA's around as well and we can have our own TTA car meet :-)

Jan, Car and motor looks great keepup lhe good work!! KERRY

Thx Kerry, getting there slowly .... if things goes well I'll be starting it for the first time in 2+ years after the engine rebuild in a couple of weeks time I hope so cross you fingers (and toes etc) :biggrin:

Back