Engine Detail

moyersgn

Looking to clean up my engine compartment. What wouls be the best method and chemicals to use. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Looking to clean up my engine compartment. What wouls be the best method and chemicals to use. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Simple Green

IMG_1850.jpg

Agreed but spray, scrub and rinse somewhat quickly. I did this on mine and it worked great BUT it will destroy aluminum

X3 diluted simple green works wonders with a toothbrush for hard to reach spots. if you like the shiny look after it dries hit everything with armor-all and wipe down.

Like was said, Simple Green and similar detergents will kill the alum, a very good alternative is a good dish soap. I will not leave a film after rinse.

Dawn and a few others will easily cut and loosen grease and oil, but if very dirty. a second application may be needed. :cool:

Got this from and old timer here on the board (I forget who :frown:) but I've been doing this for the past 5 years I am very happy with the results everytime.

"Well here is my way of detailing your engine:

step #1 with engine cold spray the entire engine as well as fire wall and inner fenders with WD40 and don;t be cheap with it.

step #2 take a 5 gallon pail of hot water and tide laundry soap and start washing everything down with an old wash mitt. Or pull an old work sock over your hands and arms and start to dig in.

step #3 Now rinse off everything.

step #4 spray the entire fire wall and engine again with WD40, using an old tooth brush you can get into the hard to get spots. Wipe everything down with a clean rag or two.

step #4 start engine after removing covering from alternator be it a bag or rag or even an old towel. After engine is warm and dry NOT HOT shut it off.

step#5 spray everything under the hood and I mean everything with armorall let sit for 1 hour and then wipe the entire compartment down with clean rags.

IT WILL LOOK SHOW ROOM NEW AND IS SUPER EASY TO KEEP CLEAN. THE WD40 LUBRICATES AND PREVENTS RUST AND THE ARMORALL PROTECTS ALL THE RUBBERS. I HAVE DONE THIS FOR OVER 25 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A COMPLAINT FROM ANY ONE. YOU CAN THANK ME LATER WHEN IT IS ALL DONE."

Thanks for the responses. What should be covered? Spark plugs, atlternator, etc. Anyone have any before/after pics?

On every motor I've ever done I've ran it up to temp, stopped at the car wash, sprayed it with gunk engine brite HEAVILY, hosed it down with the car wash soap, rinsed, spot free rinse, and drive away. Armorall anything plastic and call it a day. It gets messy, wear the garage clothes;) I've never had a problem. I will say this is probably not advised on an LT1 powered anything. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I have better things to do than hand scrub a motor all day. If it's that greasy that you can't stand to look at it you have other issues than just a dirty motor:biggrin:

hello people; Just to chim in as it depends how dirty or oily the engine area is. I've used Gunk only if it's really oiled up as it's a strong degreaser. And it's used on a warmed up engine. But mostly I do as stated above just spray it down with WD. cold engine. It does take some work but I like doing it in the nice weather. I've never tried simple green but I might.
IBBY

Thanks for the responses. What should be covered? Spark plugs, atlternator, etc. Anyone have any before/after pics?

Not sure if this is what you wanted but...after a cleaning and some paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Summer 2010 411.jpg
    Summer 2010 411.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 499

hello people; Nice job as it's got to be so much easier with the engine out of the car. I wish I could.
I like the job you did on the VC. It seems alot of people are doing that.
IBBY

What kind of cleaner and paint did you use cause everytime I clean my engine for some reason there's the same parts on it as there were before the cleaning? :D

I used full strength Simple Green to degrease, then some automotive high temp engine paint engine paint. Just got it in last Oct. and drove a bit before it went into "storage mode" but we'll see how it holds up.

Meguiars Saf-D-Greaser is safe for all engine components and works great. it's in the detailer line so you may have to buy a gallon but it makes 16 gallons.

let me be the first to say wow:biggrin: whats your secret? what do you primarily use to get rid of the grease and oil?

Thanks, I used super clean and a pressure washer to get most of the gunk off while the motor was together, then I disassembled it down to the long block and media blasted, painted, or powder coated every thing and reassembled all the bolt on parts and painted the block, & heads. More info here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/276526-80-malibu-wagon.html