engine girdle leak

mojilla

The oil pan studs on the back and side of the motor are leaking and also have a small leak on the oil pan at the back of the motor. Im going to pull the pan but was wondering how i can fix the leak on pan studs? What is the best way to put the pan back on with out leaks? I have read that i should use the cork pan gasket and the right stuff. Whats the correct torque setting and pattern. Any other tips would be great.
Thanks

Make sure you are not over filling the oil pan. When you put a girdle on the oil full line on the dip stick changes because of the thickness of the girdle.

Make sure you are not over filling the oil pan. When you put a girdle on the oil full line on the dip stick changes because of the thickness of the girdle.

Actually nothing changes with the dipstick...all you are doing with the girdle is lowering the pan 3/4"...filling to full mark will put the oil at the same level in the motor as stock...except now you will have a little more oil in the motor...most with a girdle usually fill to the half way point between full and a quart low...to keep the splash down...

I just cut 3/4" off of the top of the dipstick tube. (with a tubing cutter) (and I also cut about an inch off of the bottom, so the dipstick can slide past the girdle) There is horsepower there if you keep the oil off of the crank. AND a possible reduction in leaks, too. By going with a deep sump/wide sump pan, you can run the same amount of oil (5 qts.) and keep it off of the spinning crank. (there is no need to run more than 5 qts. of oil. As a matter of fact, most stock eliminator racers run only 3.5-4 qts of oil in the pan to reduce windage)

To address the leaking studs: wet install the studs with silicone. Use a crank scraper, too. When installing a girdle, be SURE to wipe the block AND the girdle with brake clean or laquer thinner to remove all oil/assembly lube residue. Use high quality silicone, too. (Ultra-Black, Rite-Stuff, ect.) Cheap standard silicone has no place in an engine. Fill the girdle stud cavity with silicone, before you lay the gasket in place. I also smear a fair amount of silicone on both sides of the CORK gasket. Even with all this precaution, they all seem to seep oil. I just live by the Buick standard, that if a Buick V6 doesn't leak oil........................better add some..........QUICK!!:biggrin:

thanks for the replies. I had too much oil in the motor, but im going to pull the pan and try to seal up the studs. Im also going to put on the crank scraper. Hopefully i can seal it all up. I talked to jason at rjc and he said that the add mark on the dipstick is now the full mark.

I remove all oil and pick up a few tenths:biggrin:

I don't even bother with a pan anymore.

So, are you guys also lowering your oil pick-up somehow?