You can type here any text you want

Engine is coming out..$3,000 budget...what should i do?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

streetknight

DCVING
Title says it all. I of course want to go as fast as possible. The budget does not include Turbo, IC, Tranny, and all that stuff. Engine only.

Budget will have to incur machine work though. What parts and tricks will get the best $'s worth. Thanks.

Id order some forged pistons and have it all rebalanced and keep a reasonable e.t goal of 11.0-10.9. Have it honed wih a torque plate. I wouldnt even bother with steel caps. Spend the $ saved on tuning devices/dataloggers and keep it out of detonation. This is assuming the engine has some kind of issue. If not just do heads and a roller cam and the rest on tuning devices.

Thanks for the reply Bison. Pulled her out cause the #6 cylinder was down on compression about 25# from the rest and only held 48% on a leak down check where the rest of the cylinders held 90% or better (engine has 150K on it)

I know I wanna do heads/cam but not sure which to get.

Car will have a 6265 turbo/60# injectors/3" THDP/PTC 9.5" Non Lock Converter

thanks

isint a stroker way out of the 3k budget? how much is the machine work for a stroker kit?

Stroker is approx1,600-1,900, and what ever machine work is. I would think it would be around $700.

isint a stroker way out of the 3k budget? how much is the machine work for a stroker kit?

Yeap.......WAY out of the budget :eek:

Id order some forged pistons and have it all rebalanced and keep a reasonable e.t goal of 11.0-10.9. Have it honed wih a torque plate. I wouldnt even bother with steel caps. Spend the $ saved on tuning devices/dataloggers and keep it out of detonation. This is assuming the engine has some kind of issue. If not just do heads and a roller cam and the rest on tuning devices.

+1

Roller cams should be mandatory nowadays. I would try and throw a girdle, and forged pistons in it. Dont bore it if possible, just hone it as Bison said. Heads are a good idea to, if you go with a cam. You can probably find a cheap set of ported heads in the for-sale section.

+2
That's good advice. The only thing i would want to know is what is causing the leak down? If you've got a factory bottom end with a blown head gasket I'd just put it back together with a roller cam and a good set of heads as 3k isn't allot of budget for a fast engine. Remember. Fast, cheap, reliable. You can only have two. Good luck.

3k budget

my 2 cents--
forged pistons
roller cam
ported heads
injectors
turbo
fmic or strecth stock location
good torque converter
good set of slicks(traction):biggrin:

My machine work was more than your budget. A good machinist is priceless.

Listen to Bison. With your budget, keep realistic goals or you will be doing this again soon. Good luck.

Bryan

Cheapest way is to do it once.

Sounds like your building this thing to go tens. If so, you'll be skating on thin ice with a stock bottom end. That stock crank will be flexing like a jump rope on a grade school playground.:eek:

I'd say, start with a solid bottom end to build from, and a nice hyd roller cam. Later when you've got more money, do heads, turbo, intercooler, etc.

Just my 2cents.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

Fast, cheap, reliable. You can only have two...............best thing ive heard in a while :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply Bison. Pulled her out cause the #6 cylinder was down on compression about 25# from the rest and only held 48% on a leak down check where the rest of the cylinders held 90% or better (engine has 150K on it)

I know I wanna do heads/cam but not sure which to get.

Car will have a 6265 turbo/60# injectors/3" THDP/PTC 9.5" Non Lock Converter

thanks
If your losing that much its probably a slightly bent valve. no need to tear it apart if thats the issue. Id start with the heads and see where it goes from there. For trap speeds under 130mph id go with a 206/206 roller with about .500 total lift. Any of the ported iron heads vendors on here sell are gtg. You will have a very solid 10 sec car at 22-23psi. Thats where id leave it unless you want to up your budget a lot on the engine.

If your losing that much its probably a slightly bent valve. no need to tear it apart if thats the issue. Id start with the heads and see where it goes from there. For trap speeds under 130mph id go with a 206/206 roller with about .500 total lift. Any of the ported iron heads vendors on here sell are gtg. You will have a very solid 10 sec car at 22-23psi. Thats where id leave it unless you want to up your budget a lot on the engine.

So should I just pull that head off and check the valves before pulling he whole engine out? When I did the leak down test the #6 cylinder only held 48% and you could hear the air rushing into the oil pan

So should I just pull that head off and check the valves before pulling he whole engine out? When I did the leak down test the #6 cylinder only held 48% and you could hear the air rushing into the oil pan

sounds like you've got bad rings...

Back