Engine issue

michael evans

I know since you are not here with thought maybe someone might have had an issue like this.

I drove the car a long way to a car cruise (about 50 miles ) and while there I beat a light that was changing to red and got into boost it broke up a little and and when I lifted, it back fired some. I did not think of it much as it only had 1/4 tank of fuel the tank so I got gas soon after.
I turned the engine off and went inside to use the restroom and get a drink. got gas and go on my way.

After the show I drive home and right before I get home, I get on it (and boost) the same this happens this time about 3/4 tank of fuel.
I get home and turn off the engine open the gate to put the car in the garge so the engine was only off for a minuet.

I turned the key and the SES light was flashing fast and the engine would not start. So I open the hood and look for loose connections and get the wife to crank it while I look at the light on the cam sensor (Casper's cap). and it started up after sitting over five minutes or so.

The methanol tank was still also near full.

Both temperature gauges show the same at 162 degrees.

When she drove the car into the garage, I plug the laptop up (FAST computer) and it does not show any faults.

Coil and ignition are new as the "original" had a weak coil as found on the dyno at Brain Lorenz's last October

Spark plugs are E3 and seam to do well ( I think much better than ACs).

Could it be heat soak into either the coil on module because the long drive ?

If you had something like this what did you do to change it ?

Has anyone changed to the TR6 unit and can report the differences ?

Last edited:
Hows the coil pack. Have you ever replaced it?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

TurboBuRick... never heard that about the Casper’s cap... can you elaborate? Thx.

The ecm needs 2 sensors to fire the cam and the crank . If u have a tr6 I would almost guarantee your issue is with the cam sensor. With the tr6 the cam sensor needs to be set dead on . I would use the cam sensor switch in the tr6 to set it so you know it’s exactly where the unit wants it .

Sorry... can you explain the issues/ problems with the Casper’s cap. I just put one one and so far no issues and I have not seen any discussions about it so I am curious.

Thanks.

Maybe try and do a log when this happens. See what the O2 says.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I know since you are not here with thought maybe someone might have had an issue like this

I turned the key and the SES light was flashing fast and the engine would not start. So I open the hood and look for loose connections and get the wife to crank it while I look at the light on the cam sensor (Casper's cap). and it started up after sitting over five minutes or so.
A fast flashing SES light usually means a problem with the computer like a check sum error. Check you computer connectors and reseat the prom chip.

Waiting for someone to chime in and say “sounds like a bad maf”

Do you still have the original cam sensor cap?
It will take a few minutes to swap it out. Check the wheel while you have the cap off. Turn left and right and pull up and down. Any excessive play will also reap havok.

The Casper’s led cam sensor caps are well known for causing issues. The car will run but have little drivability issues. Makes the motor stumble in different areas. The ecm does still use the cam signal when the motor is running. That’s why the engine will back fire and die when the tab on the wheel brakes and throws off the window.

Got the factory sensor back on and while it was off, I tried to wiggle the wheel in all directions, it was tight.

I will take it for a drive tomorrow.

Took a short drive then made a couple hits. It did not cut out with boost but did backfire when I let off the throttle like it did.

The drive I took today was not nearly as long as Saturday's

one log...............

Have to figure out how to share.

Cam sensor may need to be slightly moved. Do you have XFI or Classic Fast?

Use the "Attach files" button and select the log file.

Last edited:
What file extension is allowed for log files ? Got one finally but one to go but it now saying not allowed.

Has " .log" on it.