You can type here any text you want

Engine noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TomG

I have an 86 GN and I replaced the timing chain and gears with a rollmaster setup along with a new timing cover with the HV oil pump assembly and used the yellow spring and plunger. I primed the pump before starting it up. During a test drive I got on it for about 1/8 mile, turned around to head back to the house and the knock gauge went crazy. Stopped and let it idle and it now has a knock coming from the engine. Any ideas? Did I spin a rod bearing?

Thanks,

Tom

Do you have an audible knock or just stuff on the gauge? If it's just on the gauge did you have any slop in the chain and did you get rid of the damper?

I have the Caspers gauge with the lights, and there was no play in the chain but you can definetly hear a knock in the engine.

Oil pressure is @ 60 lbs. cold and warmed up 30-25. New oil pump was installed as well.

No. Just replaced as PM on high mileage (108k) engine. The factory was aluminum with nylon coating, didn't want it to slip or break and take out the valves.

I'll check the oil filter for debris. I don't think the chain is hitting the block. From my experiance it sounds like a rod, But I come from the Ford world though. This is my first experiance with a Buick and I don't like it.

I'll check the oil filter for debris. I don't think the chain is hitting the block. From my experiance it sounds like a rod, But I come from the Ford world though. This is my first experiance with a Buick and I don't like it.

Get used to it......it seems to be the norm with these cars. Sad but true. :frown:

Ok I just cut the filter open and before I got all the apart there was metal in the oil coming from the filter. I'm screwed. Anyone got a good engine in Florida cheap?

Back