You can type here any text you want

engine noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboskylark

I have a 87 t ,I have a loud engine noise,sounds like it coming from the front of engine,removed belt and started,not coming from accesories,sounds like possibly from the front cover,also removed valve covers and i dont see any bent pushrods,they are all spinning and seem ok,also there is no a/f in oil,I might of spun a bearing or ??Is it possible to lower pan and check bearings without removing engine?? and could it be something common that goes bad in front cover,I am in the process of swapping a 3.8 turbo in a 1972 skylark and I sure dont want to pull another motor.any help would be great. thanks:confused:

It"s pretty loud,almost like metal on metal grinding noise,its loud enough that i dont want to start car.Its a scary sound!!!:mad: Thanks for any and all help!!

some items you can check

Even though it sounds like it is coming from the front, check the torque convertor bolts. They need to be tight.

While checking the convertor bolts there is one other thing to check. Try to move the front pulley towards the front cover and then towards the front of the car. If you can feel this movement then you probably have a bad thrust bearing

Check the cam sensor, they can make alot of noise if going bad.

Let us know what you find

I will check all the above,and let you know what i find,also will the pan drop far enough down to check bearings with motor in car ?? thanks

Today,I found that the intercooler was missing 3 bolts and rubbing on ic fan so i fixed and started it up,the grinding noise is not present,but it is making a loud rattling sound,like from the valve train.Also I did check tq bolts they were tight,also the cam sensor sounds ok and tight.the rattling sound is pretty loud,dont sound good,any ideas would be great,Thanks for the help!!!

the said to also check crank sensor. the a-hole that didnt tighten the 3 bolts could have caused the crank sensor to come loose from banging the intercooler

Back