You can type here any text you want

Engine oil cooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Islander

Is the stock in-radiator engine oil cooler adequate for normal street use in my 87 T-type? I have added an external cooler for the transmission, and have done the same for motor oil on most of my other cars thru the years. Suggestions as to size and design, general advice, suggested vendors welcome.

Depends on your location. In the desert, high temp areas then the oil cooler works fine. Where I live I remove the oil cooler as it serves NO purpose. I don't road race the car. Oil NEEDS to be at a temp of 180-220 to work correctly. NASCAR regulates their oil temps to 280* It makes more power, and works better at the higher temps. Even Top Fuel uses OW-5 oil because they just don't have time to heat the oil up. Just don't over think it. DO a search this topic has been BEAT to DEATH many times over the last 20+ years

Depends on your location. In the desert, high temp areas then the oil cooler works fine. Where I live I remove the oil cooler as it serves NO purpose. I don't road race the car. Oil NEEDS to be at a temp of 180-220 to work correctly. NASCAR regulates their oil temps to 280* It makes more power, and works better at the higher temps. Even Top Fuel uses OW-5 oil because they just don't have time to heat the oil up. Just don't over think it. DO a search this topic has been BEAT to DEATH many times over the last 20+ years

Did you check the oil temp. with a gauge before and after you removed the oil cooler? If you did I think you would have hooked one back up. Did you run a heavier weight oil?

I checked the temps with and without the cooler. Went from 180-190 to 200-210 max. No need for one as I saw it. Never put any oil cooler back on. Do not plan to. Car is never babied.

Maybe if I plan to run the Silver State Challenge. Then I'll put one on....

Do you have an oil temp gauge wickedtt?

Back