You can type here any text you want

Engine Oil Pan Drain Plug Threads???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

So have had better days :-(

Did an oilchange about a week or so ago and drained the old oil out and changed filter etc then put the threaded plug back in the oil pan (this pan is brand new GM and this is the 4th time I'm changing oil, the plug is an aftermarket with a magnet on it) ... when I put the plug back it did feel a bit strange so I just did it a bit snug and left it at that then refilled the oil etc.

Had some oil drips on the plug so went under there today to feel if it's still tight ... and tightening the drain plug it's very loos half of turn then starts to tighten up for another half turn then loose again ... so threads are gone.

Need to get another plug and do a swap but questions is if it's common for the welded nut in the oil pan to come loose or loose the threads (so this would be my worst scenario as I would have to pull the pan and sort it out) .... or you think it's just the threads on the aftermarket plug I've used (again new but done oil changes 4 times total wiht this plug and the new GM oilpan) ....

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the stock oil pan drain bung before,not saying it couldn't or hasn't happened.

I use the same type of aftermarket drain plug with a magnet on it,and have had it for quite a number of years without any problems here.

Sounds like you need to drain the oil out in a clean drain pan and check the threads on the oil pan and the drain plug. It could maybe be the wrong threads on the drain plug.

drain plug

I firmly believe that all auto parts store have a fix for you. I know they used to be available. It is a drain plug with oversized threads that will cut new threads as you install it. Your would 1/2 in. fine thread. Best of luck.--Lee

Thanks Guys ... got myself a couple of new drain plugs ... drained the oil in a clean container ... and checked the plug I used (bought to fit the GN oil pan) and turns out the its a M12 or so thread not the 1/2"-20 it should be ...

New plug installed (correct thread) and carefully tightening it with fear of the threads in the oilpan gone as well but turned out to work fine and I could tighten the new plug properly really tight with no issues ... back with the oil and topped it up to the right level then a 10 mile test drive and now got a big smile back on my face :biggrin:

So in the end not too bad luckily :cool:

Back