You can type here any text you want

Engine problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SlowTTA

I have a problem with blowing smoke out of the breathers any time the engine is running. Perfomed a compression test and found that the #1 cylinder had 10 psi (the other cylinders were fine). My thought is that this is a ring issue, if any of you could give more ideas that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dave
Money-pit #104

Blown head gasket.. 99% of the time.

Now you have to figure what cuased it so it doesnt happen again.

HTH

Replaced driver side headgasket this week, compression still shows 10 psi. I also used 2 different gauges to verify the reading. I don't have a leak down tester so I just applied regulated air(60 psi) to the cylinder to see if the air was coming out of the oil fill hole in the valve cover and it was.

Well if you pulled the HG out and it wasnt blown.. at that point.. you should of pulled the oil pan, and yanked the piston out. If you have no compression.... not much else left.

Your going to have to disassemble again.

I know better than to waste time and money and this is exactly what I did. Razor, I feel that you are one of the most respected people on this site and others so I will ask you what your thoughts are for my next step. I wanted to pull the engine this upcoming winter and do a complete rebuild, should I just do this now or pull the piston and replace the rings(if that is the Problem). I would like to enjoy the summer with the TTA as much as possible.

Your alky kit is also high on the priority list but that will have to be a little later now.

Dave

Dave,
Look.. if the cylinder didnt get scuffed,, no problem running a hone in and out to get a cross hatch and install a piston with some new rings. The TTA pistons from my understanding are really good pieces. At this point the head has to come off again.. no matter what. Hopefully you didnt reassemble it too far then realize it didnt have compression.

One more thing would be a bent valve, but compression would not go in the crankcase if it were that.

There are a few guys here on the board with spare TTA pistons. You cannot use GN pistons.

I would pull head, reinspect the gasket, check the valves.. if all looks good.. you can bring the piston down and put some liquid in the bore like ATF and see if it seeps down. Anyhow.. looks like you have to pull the piston, then check the cylinder wall for damage. At that point figure direction to go with it. Keep the bearings so they dont get damaged, and watch the ring alignment..if the wall has a gouge in it, then you'll have to bore it out. that would be rebuild time.

Wish you well, its not too bad. At least these motors are easy to work on.

Julio

If it needs a piston, contact me and i'll pass the info who may still have.

Good luck..

PS.. no alky kit till its running 110% ;)

Sorry this wasn't posted before but the engine was gone through by Fast Times somewhere in the Chicago area with .020 over TRW's

Dave

Had the same problem you do. Thought it was a stocker but was .020 over with hyper-you-blow-me pistons. Most likely that's what you have as well. Pull those ****ers out and throw in some forged pistons. It may cost a little more to do it right, but it's worth it. I sprung for the JE's, main studs, rod bolts were there(just reconditioning), new cam and a very nice port job.

After I saw what boost does to those pieces of crap you want them nowhere near a boosted engine. I blew mine pulling into a lane from a shoulder at 10mph no boost, no knock Silicone and boost do not mix :(

The trw's are cheaper but the pin is pretty heavy compared to the JE and Ross(so I'm told). If the machine work was done well and you got a nice crosshatch pattern on the cylinders a slight hone and .020's with file fit rings would be nice. Think about what you want it to run then go from there. I went in thinking high 11's, then with e upgraded injectors, stall and turbo low 11's, and now with the heads hogged out pretty much all they can go I'm contemplating yet another turbo and injector setup for a brush against the 10's.

In all my ramblings what I'm trying to get at is do the work once your head and wallet won't hurt as much :D

I don't know who to blame here but the cylinders are nice and shiny(no cross hatch) with about 12,000 miles on the rebuid( I bought it with 7,000 on the rebuild). I went 11.72@116 last Oct. but know that there was more in it. Head and wallet are hurting but we'll figure this out. The thing that really bothers me is the fact that the cylinders are already .020 over and .030 is suppose to be the max for these blocks from my readings in the forums. Anyway, thanks for your response and we'll try to keep this problem updated.

Dave

Back