Engine weights

RFB

I am in the planning stages of building a competition rock racing chassis, using a v-6 instead of the v-8's that I normally use. Looking for a serious reduction in weight, without loosing too much HP/tq. Pushrod engines are preferred because of their overall smaller dimensions than OHC; I'm really eyeballing the 3.8 sc. After searching and reading alot here, I still have some questions:

1) Does anybody have weight figures of a complete engine, with or without accessories? I have searched this forum and others without success.

2)I was also wondering how that compares to the weight of the 3.1 or 3.4 60 degree chevy v-6's....I know they have aluminum heads, and seem to be slightly more compact...Just probably not enough grunt. Anybody got any figures?

3)What can one expect to pay for a 3.8sc with harness, computer, and anything else one might need for transplanting into a tube chassis? Factory transaxle isn't needed. I'm in southern colorado... might have to travel a bit ...the PNP's are pretty pricey around here.

4)What vehicle might have a RWD tranny (preferrably a th350 or 904) that is compatible, at least mechanically?

I've read some here about some of the wiring issues when swapping into other cars, but I'm sure there will be others with my application. Any advice you tech guru's could share would sure be appreciated.

Some aussie cars (Holden Commodores) have the L67 engine in a nosth-south rear wheel drive format already. They come with a T700 (4L60E) fitted (no manuals unfortunately) and are fitted to 4 door sedans and until recently some 2 door coupe (Monaro from which the new GTO is based). Maybe you should look to Australia for an engine if you want to go RWD, given the favorable exchange rate (69centsUS=$1AUS), it will be relatively cheap I think.

Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid shipping might cost as much as the engine, and can't afford to to wait for a boat to fill up so they can ship it:( Is the new GTO rwd and available here?

I did some more digging and found an answer to #4, which is to use the 700r4 from a chevy s-10 with a 2.8 v-6, or a 904 from a Jeep cherokee with the 2.8. One problem with this will be trying to fool the computer. I wonder if anybody makes a stand alone harness for this engine, along with dummy sensors?

Btw, this chassis will have the radiator in the rear for better weight distribution, plumbed through the bottom (tubing) framerail.

1) full weight approx 450 lbs. block ~200 lbs

2) don't know the comparisions, but no where near the torque.

3) 800 +- for the engine. 300 +- for the PCM and harness

4) The "small pattern" bell housing would have to mated with any tranny.

You may need to get a separate engine management system b/c the PCM controls both the T46"E"HD tranny and the engine, with inputs from both components. :p

Originally posted by RFB
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid shipping might cost as much as the engine, and can't afford to to wait for a boat to fill up so they can ship it:( Is the new GTO rwd and available here?

The new GTO is RWD but you guys are only getting the LS1 versions, we could buy the L67 powered version until recently when they dumped the engine from the coupe line up due to lack of interest.

We can still buy the L67 in a 4-door RWD sedan;)

Originally posted by blownvn
...you guys are only getting the LS1 versions...
Yeah, those dam LS1's are very distracting....hard to stay on the subject of v-6's in most conversations...till they realize how much power you can make w/ an L-67 :D

I guess one of the benefits of the LS1 is the availability of the Ram-jet wiring harness, which means one wire hookup. Too bad something like that isn't available for the L-67.

The 3800 series II block can handle alot more than the 2.8/3.1/3.4. You can use an older non-electronic tranny or manual, by simply fooling it intothinking it's in Drive all the time(very easy). The older 2.8 700r4 will work, as will the newer 3.8 4L60e(from a Camaro), but I'm not sure how you'd control the 4L60e.

People are running over 400hp with the L67, with ALOT of torque, so it's definately a capable engine. ;)