You can type here any text you want

ET streets mounted backwards??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87NAT

In Between GN's
I read a thread from another member and he felt that his ET streets hook better when they are mounted backwards. Is this just snake oil or does anyone have any numbers/time slips to prove otherwise?

I've heard that the oldtimers used to reverse slicks to get a few more runs on worn slicks. I think the reason the ET Streets are directional is the way the tread pattern is designed to channel away water. If you ever run through a puddle (we know that would never happen), you may be in for a wild ride.

Is this ET streets, or ET street radials (Mickey Thompson's I would assume)? Would make a difference on the ET radials as they are directional tires unlike the ET streets.
I have swapped sides on the ET streets to keep an even wear on them.
I just bought some ET radials, and plan on running them on the correct side and in the correct direction.

My bad...ET street Radials. And yes...thats the question since they are directional..would it make a difference?

I've heard that the oldtimers used to reverse slicks to get a few more runs on worn slicks. I think the reason the ET Streets are directional is the way the tread pattern is designed to channel away water. If you ever run through a puddle (we know that would never happen), you may be in for a wild ride.

As I understand it, that is an old trick that still works today on slicks. If you've ever noticed, soft compound tires tend to "feather" after a few runs. If you reverse the direction of the tires, the "feathering" generates more grip for at least a couple of runs or until it wears off and starts feathering in the opposite direction. I've seen this on the BFG Drag radials, so I would *assume* other soft compoudnd radials would do it also. Unlike the MT's and Nittos, the BFG's are not directional so you should be OK if you wanted to turn them around and run them in the opposite direction.

just my 2 cents. :cool:

i think someone just installed them backwards on accident and had someone call them out and they made that story up.

i think someone just installed them backwards on accident and had someone call them out and they made that story up.

Sounds like something I would do, put them on wrong then make up the excuse.

well say you got to discount and have them mount them since yours short on time. You drive straight to the track and your buddy is like WTF. i would think of something like that real quick.

As I understand it, that is an old trick that still works today on slicks. If you've ever noticed, soft compound tires tend to "feather" after a few runs. If you reverse the direction of the tires, the "feathering" generates more grip for at least a couple of runs or until it wears off and starts feathering in the opposite direction. I've seen this on the BFG Drag radials, so I would *assume* other soft compoudnd radials would do it also. Unlike the MT's and Nittos, the BFG's are not directional so you should be OK if you wanted to turn them around and run them in the opposite direction.

just my 2 cents. :cool:

sounds feasible to me.

Ha Ha, yep thats probably the story.

Mickey T says the tires have a "special sidewall construction", not sure if that means they are ribbed differently for directional use.
I can't really see how running them backwards would be better than how they where designed. But, if someone wants to give it a try on a set of $350 tires, let us know if they work better!

With the way those tires hook anyways, I doubt you'd see any real difference in mounting them backwards.

Found the thread...go check it out.

Under " Turbo Picture and Video Library" Thread is"Not my GN but my beater"
The tires are backwards on a 10 second Cobra.

I would laugh and say something about Fords but his times are better than mine and the car does look nasty.

Jpratt, are you trying to show me up with your computer expertise? I am still working on typing with more than one finger and you throw a "link" on me.:D

Tire reversal works on slicks due to the feathering as previously mentioned. Especially on Phoenix slicks. (stickiest I've ever run and they do have directional arrows on them too) The stickier the compound, the more frequently we'd reverse them. Not so sure on the MT DRs tho. I would be concerned about sidewall construction and the belts being used to turning in one direction and or possibly wearing out faster.
This type of question would probably be best answered by Pro Import Supra racers who run drag radials and or Pro Domestic Drag Radial class racers. On a low 10 second car, I wouldn't even worry about it. On an 8 second car, I might consider it if I knew some real world results on similar cars. Maybe Dusty Bradford can chime in on this one as he and Shane are a couple of serious Drag Radial racers.
Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

Jpratt, are you trying to show me up with your computer expertise? I am still working on typing with more than one finger and you throw a "link" on me.:D

Just trying to help a fellow GN owner out.

Back