Ever heard of this turbo?

Berman

So I'm being told by a guy who saw the receipts of the guy who built and sold me my car that the turbo on it isn't a PT52 but is some stock hybrid junk. :mad: Why can't people be honest? :mad: He says it is basically a stock turbo with a really big compressor housing on it. Looking at the turbo it says Precision on it, so I know it's from them, and the compressor housing says 60 series on it. It does have a big ass inlet bell, 3" is what I would think, based on the fact that my maf tube is 3".

So I have no idea what turbo and what chip (harper doesn't make chips) are really on my car. My sig should read: '86 t-type, some turbo, 206/206, some chip. :D I know it really does have the cam because you can sure as hell hear that thing.

Argh. This would explain why it's capable of running 20psi with a low timing chip on the street with 0 kr..

Piss me off more. I just spent $400 in parts chasing down a stumble problem that turned out to be a bad wire.

Turbo

U should open it up and measure the wheels and tell use how many fins it has.
that will tell us alittle more about it.:)

I have the same problem, i still don't know what turbo i have, if I pull the compressor and turbine housings off , are there gaskets involved ? or is it just metal to metal ?

Precision usually scribes the size (51,52,53, ect..) on the bottom side of the compressor nozzle.

Mike

I suspect the guy who told you that does not know what he is talking about if it says Precision it unless someone else is stamping the name on it.

Measuring the wheels is the only way to know for sure what it is,tho.

Steve Wood:

Here are my findings:

O-ring Seal
Compressor Housing: AiResearch, stamped into compressor outlet 8173 630, scribed F2690101 (assume SN # )
Inlet bell: Integral 2.5" id O.D. 2.75"
Compressor wheel: 2.75" OD On the flat of Blades, 6 Major, 6 Minor
Turbine Housing: Garret

additional info: I found a .70 inside the discharge of the compressor housing !!!

Turbo was purchased from Turbo City, 1989, No end play, some up and down play.

Should i go further and take the Turbine housing off, looks like a pain in The A$$ though.

Thanks ,:)

Forgot to mention, the turbo has coolant lines running to it. The stock turbo most certainly does not.

wtf?

Berman.....yours has Precision stamped on the exhaust housing? I don't recall Precision ever using a water cooled center section but others had it as an option. Harry does not think it is worth the effort on our cars as I recall. I would call PTE if it has their name on the housing and see if he knows anything about it or can give you some pointers. He, or someone else may have updated the turbo.

Jim, I have lost track of time. Seems like in 89, there were not many options for turbos and Kenne Bell sold some so called Stage II turbos that was the first mix and match unit. I forget what the combination was but I believe it was a larger A/R and was a bit better on top end but softer off the line. I would say it is time for an upgrade if it was from TurboCity that long ago. :)

Turbo Guru's :::

So i would assume that the .70 found inside the Discharge of the Compressor housing is A/R .70 which make it slightly larger than a Normal Ratio of A/R .60 I found A/R .63 cast into the garret Turbine housing which from what i understand is basicly stock. What about compressor trim size of 2.75 " O.D. Is this close to a stock size or is this larger as well ? What would this turbo Be closely related to in performance. Turbo does seem to come on strong in the higher rpm ranges. I am thinking its a T04 compressor upgrade / larger A/R housing and Large compressor wheel . I have an Old Kenne Bell Catalog and it does look like a T4 . What would this compare too in today's technology

I had slow problems and fueliing problems that I traced back to my POS turbo. It was rebuilt with an INTERNATIONAL DESIEL TRACTOR compressor and wheel and factory GN turbine side.. The compressor wheel was 68mm dia...

Now I have a stocker on it and I like it MUCH better!
ks:cool:

I guess i was right, turbo city just emailed me. They say its a T04B- V Trim
Flow Rate = 48lbs/min :D

How would this compare to a TE-44 ????