You can type here any text you want

Exhaust help needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
How would you go about connecting a new 3" downpipe to this exhaust ? It's a 2.5" hooker system I'm guessing they cut the cat out and just added a piece of straight pipe instead of a test pipe. Now there's no flange for a new test pipe to bolt up to and im also guessing that I shouldn't weld the new downpipe to the exhaust, also there's a 3" to 2.5" transition I have to deal with. Thanks.

Last edited:
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0137 (1).JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
here we go

Easiest and most economical is to cut the pipe enough where when you install the new 3" DP, the 2.5" pipe will go inside the 3" DP. Then use an exhaust band clamp with high temp RTV to seal the system together.
I wouldn't have a problem doing mine this way.

The flange on your exhaust was cut off and a straight piece of pipe was used in place of the Cat.

Autozone rents a pipe cutter chain for free. You'll get your money back after you return it.

I wouldn't throw any money at getting a flange welded on your exhaust. By that time you would be close to getting a 2.5" Pypes Exhaust.

If you want to spend money, get a flange welded on your exhaust. Buy a 3" Test Pipe or Y-Pipe. The 3" DP will slip inside the 3" Test/Y-Pipe and the flange on the Test/Y-Pipe will mate with the flange on the exhaust.

you can get 3 to 2.5 adapter, a straight pipe and use band clamps instead of welding
you can buy the 4 bolt flanges from rjcracing.com and weld to the cat back
or rip it all out because thats not hooker system and do the pypes stainless system

Thanks for the advice guys. Also does it matter if I use a band clamp or just the regular "U bolt" looking clamps ? Is the purpose of the band clamp so it comes back apart easily.

if you use a regular crimping type clamp or weld the test pipe to the downpipe you will have a difficult time removing the down pipe to service the headers or head

if you use a regular crimping type clamp or weld the test pipe to the downpipe you will have a difficult time removing the down pipe to service the headers or head

X2
I like band clamps and it wont crush the pipe like a U clamp. Band clamps are soft metal and conform to the shape of the pipes.

Back