Exhaust question

running the full stainless atr pitbull set up on my car except for the cat that I replaced with a electric cut out. Has a great sound to it but the set up is expensive. Thank god it was on my car when I bought it already lol. Daniel

FWIW I've went from Flowmasters to Ultraflows on 3 vehicles, 2 of them were V8's and one 6 (the TR) and I felt an immediate difference in top end power that previously did not exist.

Hmmmmmm,

My buddy in Jax has told me from the beginning to get rid of the flowmasters that came on my car from purchasing. I just ran a 10.81 @ 25 PSI boost in Reynolds. We tried to turn the wick up and could not get above 25 PSI. He and a Precision sales rep feels that the f-masters restrictive flow can cause a back pressure and not allow me bring my boost up any more. I will be replacing mine sometime in the future and I hope to feel a difference, that would be sweet. I am running duals also. Mind you, the 25 # restriction is believed because I have a little PT54 and it can't overcome the pressure.

Mike

Chambered mufflers will cause a restriction on Turbo cars. I have seen a car go from Flowmasters to Hooker Maxflows which are straight thru. The car picked up 2-3 MPH in the 1/4 mi. Bolt on car with a TA49.

So to sum it up, use flowmasters for sound but not performance and magna flow or maxflows for all around performace and sound correct? Im goin to be running a cut out so that would be open with the little racing i do so im not really worried about alittle power loss with f-masters, just want it to sound mean!

So to sum it up, use flowmasters for sound but not performance and magna flow or maxflows for all around performace and sound correct? Im goin to be running a cut out so that would be open with the little racing i do so im not really worried about alittle power loss with f-masters, just want it to sound mean!

Correct.

I'm not downing Flowmasters, they have their place on something like a 5.0 Mustang or maybe a 383 powered 68-70 Charger.....I'll be honest, I have a Flowmaster transversial muffler on my '69 Nova that has a 350 V8...but it's not a race car either, it's a street car fitted with 2.25 pipes and a 2.73 peg leg rear. It see's 2000 rpms at 60 mph and 3500 rpms at 100 mph...so a Flowmaster is adequate for it since it's not a heavy breather.

But if/when the day comes I decide to drop in a healthy breathing small block/big block....or *maybe* a complete 86-87 LC2 engine (been thinking about this) the Flows will have to go. (along with the small pipes and the 2.73's)

Same thing for a turbo car. You don't want back pressure. I know personally I don't want to sacrifice performance for sound quality.

I have a few vids you can check out of my car....

This one was my TR with the dual 40 series Flowmasters that were on it, that were fed by 2 inch (not kidding here) pipe!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwDLRJXkuo

And the exhaust note changed a little (not as tinny) when I cut all that mess off and installed a straight shot 3 inch exhaust with a Dynomax Ultraflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_a5Bs4fXc

Correct.

I'm not downing Flowmasters, they have their place on something like a 5.0 Mustang or maybe a 383 powered 68-70 Charger.....I'll be honest, I have a Flowmaster transversial muffler on my '69 Nova that has a 350 V8...but it's not a race car either, it's a street car fitted with 2.25 pipes and a 2.73 peg leg rear. It see's 2000 rpms at 60 mph and 3500 rpms at 100 mph...so a Flowmaster is adequate for it since it's not a heavy breather.

But if/when the day comes I decide to drop in a healthy breathing small block/big block....or *maybe* a complete 86-87 LC2 engine (been thinking about this) the Flows will have to go. (along with the small pipes and the 2.73's)

Same thing for a turbo car. You don't want back pressure. I know personally I don't want to sacrifice performance for sound quality.

I have a few vids you can check out of my car....

This one was my TR with the dual 40 series Flowmasters that were on it, that were fed by 2 inch (not kidding here) pipe!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKwDLRJXkuo

And the exhaust note changed a little (not as tinny) when I cut all that mess off and installed a straight shot 3 inch exhaust with a Dynomax Ultraflow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_a5Bs4fXc

Vids are set to private??:confused:

i can do that with my grandmothers station wagon, its just a burn out:eek:

It was for him to hear the sound of the Pypes Race Mufflers in an open area. I could care less about your opinion because you didn't start the thread.:rolleyes: Go start chit somewhere else. I remember having words with you under one of your various "other" screen names.:eek:

It was for him to hear the sound of the Pypes Race Mufflers in an open area. I could care less about your opinion because you didn't start the thread.:rolleyes: Go start chit somewhere else. I remember having words with you under one of your various "other" screen names.:eek:

Funny how most guys are here to help and you always have a few willing to trash a good post ?:mad:I agree with you Jas

warning: long description of flowmaster mufflers, if you dont like it go buy a magnaflow and be happy with your cored muffler and don't post

Guys still live in the stone age and think its okay to post the flowmasters must be bad because they heard it or read about it, that is not true. Flowmaster right now has the least restrictive muffler out there, ITS JUST no one takes the time to read for themselves or buy one because they feel more comfortable if the guy next to him says its bad then hell it must be, to this I laugh (read my sig for more details on this train of thought). The OUTLAW muffler is the only true straight through muffler, unlike "straight through designed" mufflers like Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax/bla bla bla which ALL still use perforated cores and sound packing materials in their mufflers and hundreds of mini holes to reduce sound. It was great idea and works fantastic, not denying that. But just because something is good doesn't mean there is nothing out there better. The core of the Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax mufflers is what I don't like, and after reading some exhaust books I was in search of a coreless/chamberless muffler. The outlaw from flowmaster is the only non cored (perforated or louvered), and 100% no packing material, and no chambers in it at all.

but please can we stop with the 20 years ago idea that all simply putting a flowmaster muffler on your turbo car is bad, when in reality it obviously matters which flowmaster you choice. Flowmaster is the ONLY one that carries a none cored muffler that I can find on the market world wide. Go ahead look for one, try it before you comment. I've looked, Europe, Asia, down south, up north no one has it or is producing it at least for the public. Flowmaster can only bad choice because of the person buying it. Just simply saying for the sake of saying 'flowmasters are bad for our cars' doesn't help educate anyone, it only continues the disillusionment about flowmasters. Yes magnaflows are great mufflers, but their still cored, and there is new tech. out there that is better imho.

Flowmasters are not bad for your car, certain flowmasters (just like certain models from Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax) will obviously reduce flow and restrict power. But do you remember why we all fell in love with flowmaster in the first place? They created the first rounds of NoNe perforated or louvered cored mufflers, they just chambers, and they sounded bad trucking a$$! Well now they offer a coreless/chamberless muffler, again leading the way in exhaust tech. while ALLLLL others in the market simply follow. I say this because I can't find a none cored muffler anywhere in the world but flowmaster. After I found this to be true from my own research and looking and studying I fell in love with flowmaster all over again, and it should happen to you again once you discovery the differences in mufflers, and it will certainly happen again once you find the flowmaster is the only company that makes a coreless chamberless muffler/resonator. I dont know very much in this world but I know mufflers quite well.

warning: long description of flowmaster mufflers, if you dont like it go buy a magnaflow and be happy with your cored muffler and don't post

I guess you may have a good point, I can't argue with no knowledge myself. But when we have the chambered mufflers on our cars, I believe that is what is being referred to as bad. A chambered system is not as good for our turbo cars as the Dynaflows, Magnaflows etc. When someone pulls a F-master off and puts another brand on and notices a power gain, that makes me think that it could be true.

I will be sometime in the future looking to change over, and I will hopefully be able to run my car at the track to see what type of a difference it makes. Seat of the pants feeling does not prove anything, but time slips do...

Mike

thank you much for the info. i'm quite certain that the flows i have must be of the restrictive kind bein that they have some age on them. i will look into this for sure.

P.S. i still think flows have always had a unique exhaust note that i have always liked:wink:

So you have a set of these on a TR? If you do, do you have anyway to do a sound clip? Looking at them, I'd bet they'd be loud. Interesting.....

Guys still live in the stone age and think its okay to post the flowmasters must be bad because they heard it or read about it, that is not true. Flowmaster right now has the least restrictive muffler out there, ITS JUST no one takes the time to read for themselves or buy one because they feel more comfortable if the guy next to him says its bad then hell it must be, to this I laugh (read my sig for more details on this train of thought). The OUTLAW muffler is the only true straight through muffler, unlike "straight through designed" mufflers like Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax/bla bla bla which ALL still use perforated cores and sound packing materials in their mufflers and hundreds of mini holes to reduce sound. It was great idea and works fantastic, not denying that. But just because something is good doesn't mean there is nothing out there better. The core of the Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax mufflers is what I don't like, and after reading some exhaust books I was in search of a coreless/chamberless muffler. The outlaw from flowmaster is the only non cored (perforated or louvered), and 100% no packing material, and no chambers in it at all.

but please can we stop with the 20 years ago idea that all simply putting a flowmaster muffler on your turbo car is bad, when in reality it obviously matters which flowmaster you choice. Flowmaster is the ONLY one that carries a none cored muffler that I can find on the market world wide. Go ahead look for one, try it before you comment. I've looked, Europe, Asia, down south, up north no one has it or is producing it at least for the public. Flowmaster can only bad choice because of the person buying it. Just simply saying for the sake of saying 'flowmasters are bad for our cars' doesn't help educate anyone, it only continues the disillusionment about flowmasters. Yes magnaflows are great mufflers, but their still cored, and there is new tech. out there that is better imho.

Flowmasters are not bad for your car, certain flowmasters (just like certain models from Magnaflow/Burns/Vibrant/HKS/Dynomax) will obviously reduce flow and restrict power. But do you remember why we all fell in love with flowmaster in the first place? They created the first rounds of NoNe perforated or louvered cored mufflers, they just chambers, and they sounded bad trucking a$$! Well now they offer a coreless/chamberless muffler, again leading the way in exhaust tech. while ALLLLL others in the market simply follow. I say this because I can't find a none cored muffler anywhere in the world but flowmaster. After I found this to be true from my own research and looking and studying I fell in love with flowmaster all over again, and it should happen to you again once you discovery the differences in mufflers, and it will certainly happen again once you find the flowmaster is the only company that makes a coreless chamberless muffler/resonator. I dont know very much in this world but I know mufflers quite well.

thank you much for the info. i'm quite certain that the flows i have must be of the restrictive kind bein that they have some age on them. i will look into this for sure.

P.S. i still think flows have always had a unique exhaust note that i have always liked:wink:

I started my lil exhaust trip with a dual 2.5" hooker system with an old style high flow honeycomb cat. swapped out the mufflers for some 2 chambered 40's with turn downs, sounded great n loud @ idle respectable in drive. If you are running the 40's you can just take those and cut them up! Look up it, its called a redneck 40 hmmmm hold on....here yea go. "Take 2 chamber flows, get a pic of the cross section of the internal chambers/baffles. Then, chop the back chamber off right behind the last chamber plate section that seperates the front from the back. This way, your muffler will literally be cut in half, or in redneck terms we call it the Brown County Flowmaster" If you study the flowmaster 40 here Mufflers - Flowmaster, Inc. Performance street mufflers, exhaust sounds called the "Original 40 Series - Two Chamber Mufflers" you notice that it has 2 chambers but only 1 baffle plate. So if you cut n play to make your own muffler. The point here is that you will have a very loud flowmaster, I assume it would be louder then their 10 Series Delta Force Race - Single Chamber because the single chambers actually have 3 baffles in them vs the original 40's which only have 1 baffle but 2 chambers. I hope this makes some sense. I have never tried the Brown County Flowmaster but if I had my 40's still I would 100% love to try them, I just never found or thought about that idea until after I had purchased 2 10 series single chambers myself.

I hope this helped

So you have a set of these on a TR? If you do, do you have anyway to do a sound clip? Looking at them, I'd bet they'd be loud. Interesting.....

yup I own a 3.5" Outlaw, I was only 1 of 3 people calling flowmaster for it everyday after I found out about it. The other 2 guys according to the tech were NHRA guys, after I asked he then asked me what car would I use the outlaw on. So I told him a grand national and he got very excited and said, "Interesting two drag racers and a grand national, so thats 3 drag racers that want one" I started laughing, it was awesome. He was clear over the phone many times that the outlaw muffler by itself will only reduce DB levels 2 maybe 3 points. He was very stout on this. I will be doing a 3 mufflers system. One 3.5" Race Series Outlaw muffler after my cat (which is a 200 cell German metallic spun 3.5" cat). Then into a dual 3" system with dual 10 Race Series Delta Force Single Chambers. This will should be good for all my HP and TQ needs is my plan and still look like a stock exiting exhaust system. I have no video of this system yet because its sitting in my garage waiting for it to be welded up all together, I got some nice 3" vbands for the 10 series dual 3" mufflers so if and when I goto the track I can just unhook them and have my cat and outlaw be the only mufflers on there, maybe allowing some more boost from the release of backpressure. But all this is hypothetical no testing done yet.

do the research, read an exhaust book about mufflers, google google google, after hours of looking and finding nothing TRUST ME flowmaster was the last place I EVER thought would be the first on top of the ball on this one. I was FULL OF MYSELF thinking that all the super expensive racing companies here in America and over seas in Europe and mostly the SUPER expensive japanese racing companies, that one of them had to make a coreless muffler/resonator. BUT NOPE! I couldn't find one, not one. So believe me, flowmaster was the last place I thought to look. Again this is what made me fall in love with flowmaster all over again. They stopped returning my emails after the first one, but I want and have been begging and begging flowmaster to get on the ball and make some Spiral (clockwise) Spun Metallic Celled(100-400) Catalytic Converters. Because then I could have an entire exhaust from flowmaster from the downpipe back.

Here is the video of the OUTLAW muffler, you can see the inside of it is coreless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwiVqNjRDz8