Exhaust smell

TR87

Ok im really new to the TR world. But why is there such a strong odor of exhaust inside the vehicle . Or is it just my imagination? Car has ATR headers, down pipe, and dual exhaust. Also gutted cat.

Help please. This is a California car and sldo want to try and make pass smog with no problems.

Mine smelled like that, then I found out the cat was gutted. Put a good one on and smell was gone and easily passed smog.

That smell is probably burning oil dripping on the cross over pipe from a rear main seal leak.

Ok im really new to the TR world. But why is there such a strong odor of exhaust inside the vehicle . Or is it just my imagination? Car has ATR headers, down pipe, and dual exhaust. Also gutted cat.

Help please. This is a California car and sldo want to try and make pass smog with no problems.
Does the engine have any open breathers on the valve covers?

Yes it does, the previous owner had them on.
That's most likely where the smell is coming from. If your in California it will never pass a smog check. You cannot have any open breathers in California or as a matter of fact in most states including up here in Oregon.

If the smell is inside the car all the time, it's probably oil dripping onto the crossover pipe like turbolou said, just look under the car on the exhaust pipe that goes across the car under the oil pan and see if there is a big wet oil spot on it,if there is then your valve cover gaskets are leaking and the oil is running down onto the pipe(Very Common).
If you are outside the car and getting a strong dirty smelling exhaust then it's because your cat is gutted,(Once the cat is removed they always smell like dirty exhaust, but not always inside the car when driving, but if your oil is leaking onto the crossover you will get that smell inside and outside of the car.
You probably have a combination of both.
Without the cat it's going to stink and you will definetly need one for a cal sticker anyway,so thats's a definite need to fix item and should clear up a good part of the smell too.
Welcome to the world of the turbo buick.

Mine has a odor also from the ethanol that is in the gas now , cause I did away with the cat to make it sound better also

That's most likely where the smell is coming from. If your in California it will never pass a smog check. You cannot have any open breathers in California or as a matter of fact in most states including up here in Oregon.
What can you do to fix that?

If the smell is inside the car all the time, it's probably oil dripping onto the crossover pipe like turbolou said, just look under the car on the exhaust pipe that goes across the car under the oil pan and see if there is a big wet oil spot on it,if there is then your valve cover gaskets are leaking and the oil is running down onto the pipe(Very Common).
If you are outside the car and getting a strong dirty smelling exhaust then it's because your cat is gutted,(Once the cat is removed they always smell like dirty exhaust, but not always inside the car when driving, but if your oil is leaking onto the crossover you will get that smell inside and outside of the car.
You probably have a combination of both.
Without the cat it's going to stink and you will definetly need one for a cal sticker anyway,so thats's a definite need to fix item and should clear up a good part of the smell too.
Welcome to the world of the turbo buick.
Will be checking on the oil pan issue. Although im leaning more towards the gutted cat. The smell mild inside the car compared to the outside.

Thanks again!

Will be checking on the oil pan issue. Although im leaning more towards the gutted cat. The smell mild inside the car compared to the outside.

Thanks again!

It's not an oil pan issue.
If there is oil on that cross over pipe it's most likely coming from the back of the valve covers or possibly the back of the intake and running down the back of the motor onto the pipe, and it burns off and smells .
When i said under the oil pan i didn't mean inside of it ,it runs under the car from the drivers side exhaust manifold to the passenger side .