You can type here any text you want

Experiences with Flaming River manual box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
I have declared war on engine bay clutter. That said, has anyone removed their power steering setup and gone with the 16:1 Flaming River manual steering box? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm aware of the TRZ rack and pinion setup and the S-10 manual box, but I would like to keep a decent ratio for street duty and don't want to go to the hassle of converting to the rack and pinion.

Anyone just plug their stock steering box? I'm sure it's a bear to handle this way, but would like some insight.

I just put the flaming river box in my car,frees up a ton of space,car turns perfect....The kit fit perfect as well....

Just to reiterate, we are talking about the manual box FR-1495 correct? On similar threads, I've seen the discussion get confused with power boxes.

How about steering effort? How many turns lock to lock with a 16:1 ratio?

Correct,i installed the manual box in my car,the steering effort isnt as bad as you would think being manual,I think it is about 3 turns to full lock,cant check for you at this time,the car is at the chassis shop,but i highly recommend doing the swap if you are gonna go that route...

Make sure you order the FR1495Q. The "Q" is what designates 16:1 ratio. If you order the FR1495 it will come with 20:1 ratio.

I contemplated this myself. I have the S-10 crap box now. The TRZ rack ends up being quite a bit cheaper in the long run. The FR1495Q will run you $630 by itself. I figured I would want to do all 4 tie rods and the center link as well. The rack replaces all that so that's what I ended up with. ILLEGAL REGAL on this board will hook you up with a good price if you choose to go the TRZ rack route. Good Luck. Scott

Billy,

I checked out your webshots page and I saw the pic, but didn't see any part #s listed, just the pic only. Maybe I just didn't look in the right place?

I will call Flaming River early next week regarding the R1495Q and post up what I find out what it takes to make that kit work, or whatever they suggest.

I assume you fellas are using the Champion bracket for the alternator? Looking at the pics for this bracket, I don't see how you can attach the upper portion of the driver's side intercooler bracket if running a SLIC.

I really like the idea of getting rid of the bypass pulley, tensioner pulley, and power steering pulley (and related components) all together. Less s**t to go wrong and better access to everything. :cool:

***EDIT****Just realized this is for a steering box, not the TRZ Manual Rack and Pinion Setup...***

Can any of you guys post up pics of your install? My GN came with the TRZ manual conversion, and IT SUCKS

It is the hardest thing to turn, its like wrestling a gorilla, and my turning radius is worse than my buddys excursion...BY FAR. I have to three point turn into my driveway, which sucks with its crappy radius.

Im not sure if its binding or what, but im trying to fix it ASAP, because its the one thing that makes me want to sell my car. awesome drag car, but this steering setup sucks to daily drive

haha sorry, ill shoot you some pics of it. Im pretty sure itll be ok with a flaming river double ujoint. it just seems like it binds.

I also want to order new steering arms that trz offers and instead, have the pivot holes moved back a half inch or so in order to give a mechanical advantage and allow a tighter turning radius. but that wont be possible until i address the steering effort issue

Does that kit eliminate the factory rag joint? If it does, I bet that in itself eliminates a lot of slop.

haha sorry, ill shoot you some pics of it. Im pretty sure itll be ok with a flaming river double ujoint. it just seems like it binds.

I also want to order new steering arms that trz offers and instead, have the pivot holes moved back a half inch or so in order to give a mechanical advantage and allow a tighter turning radius. but that wont be possible until i address the steering effort issue

Best thing to do is swap in 1st Gen F-body spindles. Then get the aluminum TRZ steering arms for the spindles. The arms are longer and give you more turning range.

Get ahold of Dusty as he had the same turning radius problems.

I have pics in my sig of the set up. The only difference is that I am using a steering box.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Just got home from vacation and the box was waiting on the doorstep!!! Going on Tom!!!

***EDIT****Just realized this is for a steering box, not the TRZ Manual Rack and Pinion Setup...***

Can any of you guys post up pics of your install? My GN came with the TRZ manual conversion, and IT SUCKS

It is the hardest thing to turn, its like wrestling a gorilla, and my turning radius is worse than my buddys excursion...BY FAR. I have to three point turn into my driveway, which sucks with its crappy radius.

Im not sure if its binding or what, but im trying to fix it ASAP, because its the one thing that makes me want to sell my car. awesome drag car, but this steering setup sucks to daily drive

The rack kit is designed to take weight off, clear up room under the hood and for me, the largest advantage is no bump steer issues. The only way to have something that turns like a stock car is a power assisted rack.

There are some spindles designed to help with the turning radius. Most cars that use a rack are slammed on the ground so turning radius is compromised due to fender contact. For sharp turns like into a driveway I do have to change the approach angle.

IMO I would take the flaming river steering box off and throw it in the garbage. I had one of the lightweight vega style boxes and it cracked twice and was a danger to run IMO.

The TRZ rack setup is a very nice piece and the only way to go IMO.

IMO I would take the flaming river steering box off and throw it in the garbage. I had one of the lightweight vega style boxes and it cracked twice and was a danger to run IMO.

The TRZ rack setup is a very nice piece and the only way to go IMO.

If the was box was the aluminum version, Flaming River stopped selling them because the drag guys where using them for weight reduction. The ears on the box were cracking because the cars were pulling wheelies. Damn drag racers :tongue:

The lightweight boxes were meant for street cars.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back