You can type here any text you want

Experiences with Flaming River manual box?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Conversion Complete!!! Went well, followed directions and all came out perfect!! Will post pics Monday.

How does a wheelie break the gearbox? I'm very interested since I'm running an aluminum Vega box from Flaming Rivers. Would some reinforcing prevent the problem?

How does a wheelie break the gearbox? I'm very interested since I'm running an aluminum Vega box from Flaming Rivers. Would some reinforcing prevent the problem?

Donnie best thing is call Flaming River for further information.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

My guess is when you put in a custom u-jointed column, you lose the factory slip joint. So there's no "give" when you come down after a wheelie.

My guess is when you put in a custom u-jointed column, you lose the factory slip joint. So there's no "give" when you come down after a wheelie.
The replacement u-jointed shaft does have a slip joint.

I'll give Flaming Rivers a call Monday.

Just got off the phone with Flaming River and they did confirm that the FR1495 is the bolt in application and of course FR1495Q for the quick ratio version.

Conversion Complete!!! Went well, followed directions and all came out perfect!! Will post pics Monday.
id like to see how you did it. specifically the steering shaft joints and mounting points. Ive got a feeling mine was just installed wrong. I dont think the ujoints are in the correct spots. plus there are 3 joints and no isolator...so i think thst what causes the bind

Matt, If you're using all three joints, I believe you have to use the brace supplied in the kit. It has what appears to be a teflon inner bearing that the shaft rides in. From what I've heard with our engine location you should be able to do it with two joints.

id like to see how you did it. specifically the steering shaft joints and mounting points. Ive got a feeling mine was just installed wrong. I dont think the ujoints are in the correct spots. plus there are 3 joints and no isolator...so i think thst what causes the bind

Been kind of busy, pics will be up tom, sorry for the delay!!!

I'm sorry. Was this thread about the Flaming River manual steering box or the TRZ rack and pinion? :rolleyes:

I like the info guys, but I started this thread for info on a manual steering box. It gets kinda aggravating seeing that the thread is updated and then when I click on the link, I see a continuing convo about the rack and pinion. Please start a new thread guys. Thanks.

Matt, If you're using all three joints, I believe you have to use the brace supplied in the kit. It has what appears to be a teflon inner bearing that the shaft rides in. From what I've heard with our engine location you should be able to do it with two joints.
The problem is that my engine is not your engine...Ive got an LSX motor with a turbo pipe in the way. My shaft comes out of the firewall, does about a 40 degree bend down, goes into a pipe welded into the frame, then comes out on the bottom and hardnoses to the centerline of the car then turns once again to the steering box.

I attached 2 pics, the first is of illegal regals setup. the second is how mine is ran. I most likely need to rip it all out and make myself a new steering shaft

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 177
  • steeringme.JPG
    steeringme.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 173
just the way it is matt, If you pull the tie rods off the spindles you can turn it by just touching it with your finger. Car just turns that hard, i found it was just about the same as a 16:1 box, which i also tried. The second joint isnt at that much of an angle, the one at the rack has the most angle and its still within range, there was no other way to do it with the drivers manifold where it is, i tried a bunch of different options

Back