External gate questions.

turbowrenchhead

Drive like you stole it!
I currently have an internal wastegate and it is too erractic. I think I should go external. But what are the differences between a wastegate and a racegate. How big of a puck do I need. The internal that I have is 33.4 mm. I couldn't keep it under 15psi of boost and I need to run at 13 psi with pump gas. Who should I get a gate from and what size?
I have a pt-67 gt turbo. I would like to mount it into the up pipe and have it routed into the downpipe. If the gate is too large ther is no way i can do it.

with your setup i'd prolly go straight to the racegate.i'm running a single deltagate on my crossover and it's great so far.the racegate is very similar to the deltagate except bigger.you're gonna be flowing lotsa air,so go big right off the start...

btw,who's chip are you running?seems like you should be able to run more than 13# on pump gas...

Its a custom burn from caspers. It already has lower timing, I called him asking if I could get it lower but he said it probably wouldn't help much. I made the CC to high when I had the motor built. I wanted 8:25 to 1. They messured the stock heads and the CC was something like 53 or something. They ordered the pistons and then I decided to go to champion's at 46 CC in the head. So it raised my ratio to approx 8.4 to 1. I can't run much over 13 psi of boost on 93 without getting knock. I also found out that particular turbo likes to run at 15 psi of boost. Too bad I didn't know that before hand.

That's interesting, I have 8.5 compression and would hope to run at least 15psi on pump gas. Go with the big gate. I have the Innovative gate good to 800hp and it's around the same price as the Racegate. I would put it on the crossover, I had the same idea at first but the extra heat wouldn't do it any good plus more clutter in the engine bay, and supposedly it's worth a hp or two to mount it in the crossover, before both sides of the motor merge.

Could you mount it in the cross over on the passenger side so your close to the dp and route the bypass back into the dp.

I once seen pics where someone mounted it on the drivers side and had the bypass plumed all the way into the dp. So I thought that is how everyone does it.
Tell you the truth I don't think there is enough room to make it work up on top of the engine. There is too much sh*t in the way.

wg

All I have SEEN were mounted on the drivers side just before the crossover turns to go horizontal. If you pipe it back into the DP, you will need some kind of FLEX to prevent the welds from cracking. Can be run vented to atmosphere.

Weird. I've never seen one on the driver's side. The ones I've seen have the wastegate on the passenger side with a short run of flexable tubing either to the DP or crossover.

I hate the sound of an open wastegate. It sounds like a 3 cylinder with a huge exhaust leak. IMO it's worth the extra couple dollars to plumb it back into the exhaust just so you draw less attention if you happen to run on the street.

mine is on the driver's side,plumbed back into my test pipe.but hey,i have lee thompson headers:D.

i agree on the open gate,mine was pointing right at the floorboard under my feet,it sounded terrible.

The picture you saw of the deltagate on the uppipe plumbed into the DP was mine. I posed that picture on here a while ago. I can email it if you want to see it.

tim