Factory horsepower rating

roadrunnerjack

How much boost did the factory run to get the advertised 245 H.P. on the 87 turbo? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but this is my first buick and I was trying to get some kind of base line. Im running about 14 pounds according to the boost gage.

think it was 12.5 or 14 ? cant remember i now the hot airs were 12.5 and intercooled ran a little higher so prob 14 .

DO NOT trust the stock boost gauge! Make sure you have a good boost gauge, and a knock gauge of some variety, before you start to change things. The knock gauge is more important. Don't really need to know how much boost you're running, just how fast, and how much knock. Then you tune to get maximum "Fast", with minumum/zero "knock". Make sure the fuel system has been upgraded, or it may not be adequate for even stock boost levels.

Thanks for the info Ormand. I have a autometer boost gage and am installing several other gages this weekend including a knock sensor. I am brand new to buick turbos but have read almost every thread on this and other sites so I know how important tuning and knock can be. Im really excited about the car and taking it up a notch but am going to go slow and careful. Thanks again.

I used to read in all the hot rod mags back in the late 80's, that they shot for 14.7psi, but little differences in the engines, and air density would alter the number from car to car.

Originally posted by roadrunnerjack
Thanks for the info Ormand. I have a autometer boost gage and am installing several other gages this weekend including a knock sensor. I am brand new to buick turbos but have read almost every thread on this and other sites so I know how important tuning and knock can be. Im really excited about the car and taking it up a notch but am going to go slow and careful. Thanks again.

Roadrunnerjack...........Usually a bunch of TRs at the Largo Cruise Saturday nite from about 6 to 9PM. US 19 & 110th av. We'll introduce you to 25 lbs of boost. ;)

Hi Red Regal T, got my car 2 weeks ago and drove back from missouri. Was all excited about going to burger king and showing it off but not one single buick there last saturday. I usually stop there every Saturday on way home from work as I work 1 mile south on 19 and there is usually at least 5 0r 6 buicks. This week I work a little later but will still try to make it there. My rear tires and myself cant wait for you to introduce me to 25 lbs of boost. Also want to ask you about your turbo saver and if you think I would be able to install it myself as Im a novice with these. Thanks and look forward to meeting you Jack Markley

Last Saturday a bunch of us went to Bradenton drag strip. This week some guys are going over to RaymondJames Stadium for a concert or somethin. I'll be at the BK Cruise for sure. I don't know who else is coming this week. See ya there! ;)