Factory Security System

scw7080

scw7080
Hello,
I own a 1987 Grand National and the factory security system went off and car is disabled and will not start. How do I reset the factory security system and where is the module for it? Thank you.

The alarm will reset when you put the key in the driver's door and unlock the door lock.

Hello,
I own a 1987 Grand National and the factory security system went off and car is disabled and will not start. How do I reset the factory security system and where is the module for it? Thank you.

Since your new here can you tell us the history of the car?

The factory alarm module is located high and to the left of the steering column. It is NOT easy to get access to this module (by design).

The factory alarm interrupts the feed to the starter solenoid so the car won't crank. It also honks the horn and flashes the lights. There are special switches located on the door lock cylinders on both doors.

The system pre-arms when you lock the car using the power lock switch. the SECURITY light will stay on until you close the door. the security light will then go out. The system is disarmed when you unlock with the key.

The system has another interesting feature: the clip that holds the lock cylinders into the door(s) and decklid all have a switch attached. If a thief pops a cylinder out, the switch completes a circuit and sets off the alarm. This is the most common failure causing the system to go off in the middle of the night. Moisture works on the switch and completes the circuit.

I've had 2 TRs with this system. My current 87 has this system and it works great......however, I wouldn't rely on it as the only anti theft system.

Dave