You can type here any text you want

Factory Wiring???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I am putting the original radio back in my GN today. The problem is that I have the Black/White/Blue connectors and the Yellow connector which all seems correct, BUT there another wire that is actually 4 wires glued together from the factory. They do not go to any of the connectors. These have been spliced directly into the wiring harness for the aftermarket stereo and I can't seem to figure out where they go for the factory radio? The wires are bule,light blue, yellow, and brown. Am I missing the connector for a harness or where do these go? Thanks -----Jeremy

OK I figured out the the wires are for the rear speakers. My quetion now is, are the regular radios different from the concert sound radios? Is there an extra plug for the rear speakers? My car did not come with an equilizer so I just bought a regular radio from GBodyParts. I plugged in the three plugs and I don't have rear speakers. I checked the trunk and sure enough, thats where those wires go. They were spliced into the wiring harness for the CD player so I don't know if they have a plug on them from the factory or not. Any help??

Do you have any pics? The rear speakers are supposed to be wired into one of the three plugs that are all next to each other. You say that you have those three plugs (along with the separate two-wire plug), so I wonder what's in place of the rear speaker wires.

Yeah thats what I'm trying to figure out?? The black, white, and blue plugs don't seem to be spliced at all. Thats what made me wonder if the concert sound radios have an extra plug for the rear speakers but I found out that concert sound still uses the same radio. Do you know which plug the rears utilize? Thanks for help!!! ------Jeremy

concert sound answers

i hope i can explain whats goin' on.your first clue was that your car has concert sound.that means you have four front speakers and one set of rear speakers.six in total.
white plug;
frount speakers tan=LF+
grey= LF-
lt green=RF+
drk green=RF-
first blue plug;
door speakers same as above

wires w/out plug (used to be blue also)
brown=LR+
yellow=LR-
drk blue=RR+
lt blue=RR-

car had a "Y" harness for front speakers since it had concert sound,which wired the speakers in parallel.(they were 10 ohm each so factory radio had no problem handling this now 5 ohm load per left and right sides)pay attention to color codes (+,-)it only takes one speaker wired wrong to affect the sound of the bass output(out of phase)..good luck finding a "Y" harness.if you cannot,use this info to wire all the front speakers (parallel) to the white plug. then use the blue plug for the rear speaker leads.hope this helps shed some light on this subject....... Gary

Ok, great info Gary!! I am still trying to figure this mess out. Do you have any idea where I may be able to find the factory Y to see if that is still in tact? I also can't seem to get the drivers side dash speaker to work either? I can't believe anybody would go that far in depth just o install an aftermarket CD player so in my opinion, any splices should have been made behind the radio. I guess you never know though!!! I am thinking of ohming out the wires at the speakers and trying to figure out whats going on. Very helpful info though, I printed it out to take to the garage with me. Thanks!! ----Jeremy

"Y" harness

youre welcome,good to the that my 19 years of electronis expr.helps.(not to mention ive had several t-types and gn's and i would always upgrade to cd, but i always made sure i kept the integurity of the cars wiring)not everyone uses a wiring harness adaptor when installing aftermarket radios.this is what happend to your car.your "Y" harness has been long gone.try to find a used one.a local stereo shop should be able to make you a Y if they have any old plugs around.if you replace one set of frount speakers and one set is still original you will be ok. if both sets are aftermarket the you will have to wire them in series (so delco radio can handle the load of the frount speakers.)it gets confusing i know let me know your situation(get all speakers working)and ohm of each speaker and ill recommend in detail how to wire.if you are willing to cut the other two plugs and rewire, i can show you how to repair your car......if not,find a rear plug, wire it in and then find/make that y harness...

Ok, I have another question, Is the Y Harness an adapter that the existing white and blue plugs plug into and then the harness itself plugs into the back of the radio? If so, instead of hacking away at it, I should be able to get another Y harness and blue adapter from Gbody parts. Thanks for the help, if that is the case, I will just wait it out and do it correctly!! Appreciate it Gary, you've been great help!! -----Jeremy

"Y" harness

yes.it should had connected the two front plugs at the back of the stereo,then into the frount speaker output of the delco......glad to help........

was reading this tread cause im putting speakers in my car, didnt know which wire was pos. so I use a volt meter, but that way my wires are backward. its a pain putting these 3.5 in the dash so I wanta make sure there right.

a volt meter wont tell you polarity......folow the color code above and you will be good....

what I did was check volts, got a reading of 1.9 volts, if i hooked the neg wire to the dk green it read neg volts, but I guess ya cant check it that way. :frown:

I think you can tell polarity by touching the speaker wires to a D cell battery. If speaker pops outward you know you touched the positive wire to the positive end of the battery. If you do it backwards, speaker will go inward. You can't hurt it doing this test. Might have to shine a flashlight on it through the windshield and look real hard through the plastic grill cover.

ok, got all the speakers in, at first at the dash l/h speaker I was getting 1.9 volts speaker worked fine, the speaker (door too) quit so I pulled it back out checked the voltage now im geting 6.32 volts. does this mean my radio is bad?

ok, got all the speakers in, at first at the dash l/h speaker I was getting 1.9 volts speaker worked fine, the speaker (door too) quit so I pulled it back out checked the voltage now im geting 6.32 volts. does this mean my radio is bad?

the speaker leads at the speaker should not show any dc voltage (unless the radio knob is turned wide open-thats called clipping/distortion) possible bad stereo,very common w/these old delcos. anyone have another stereo you can use you see if its the stereo giving you grief?
keep us posted.

While were on the subject of delco stereos...

I drove slo mo to work yesterday and I had the original radio back in it. I replaced the back 4x10s when I got it but I had the cd player in at that time. Night and day difference. THe original stereo sounds waaay better than my cd player ever did. It actually kinda bumps:biggrin: What's up with that???

I drove slo mo to work yesterday and I had the original radio back in it. I replaced the back 4x10s when I got it but I had the cd player in at that time. Night and day difference. THe original stereo sounds waaay better than my cd player ever did. It actually kinda bumps:biggrin: What's up with that???

thats interesting,the aftermarket cd should have more power.my guess is the polarity to the rear speakers were out of phase(they make the majority of the bass),or the settings in the aftermarket radio were out of wack.you can spend about the same amount of time setting up a new radios eq,tone,etc than the amount of time it takes just to wire it up.....

Everything was correct. Kinda thinking that deck has been crap since new. If I get crazy some night I'll pull the deck out of the ta and put it into that regal and see how that one sounds. Might have another deck to go to the trash! Does give an excuse to buy something I want:rolleyes: It takes 5 minutes for me to wire decks up beings I've done it so many times-10 minutes if I've never pulled a stereo out of a vehicle before. Stereo swaps are cake, its the running amp wires and hiding them that sucks.

i hate running amp wiring kits too.....the reward is worth it.

Back