Failed visual inspection

pkschul

OK, it seems a previous owner of my 86 GN disconnected the emissions systems. I really have no clue about emissions, so I don't know where to begin. I know that there is an open vacuum line missing from the passenger side of the throttle body. Also there is something missing from the front of the passenger side valve cover. What do I need to reconnect my emissions? I think I'll try to post some pictures soon. That will probably help.
Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the emissions systems? I have a chiltons manual, but it is worthless for the turbo cars.
A vacuum line diagram would be helpfull as well. I looked on gnttype.org, but with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like your PCV valve is missing. The PCV valve inserts into the floor of the intake manifold, and a vacuum source connects to the valve. Also sounds like the KV breather is missing or open. There should be a closed breather on the front of the passenger side valve cover and a single port on the breather. That port hooks up to a rubber elbow, then connects to a steel pipe and finally connects to a port on the side of the turbo inlet bell. Regarding vacuum routing, all solenoids are supplied manifold vacuum on at least one side. The computer controls evap, EGR and MAP. So the vacuum block has a port reserved for MAP, climate control vent controls, cruise control vacuum booster, EGR solenoid (the other end of the solenoid connects to the EGR valve), and the purge solenoid of the EVAP cannister (the other port of the canniser connects to the fuel vapor line). That's vacuum routing in a nutshell.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
Sounds like your PCV valve is missing. The PCV valve inserts into the floor of the intake manifold, and a vacuum source connects to the valve. Also sounds like the KV breather is missing or open. There should be a closed breather on the front of the passenger side valve cover and a single port on the breather. That port hooks up to a rubber elbow, then connects to a steel pipe and finally connects to a port on the side of the turbo inlet bell. Regarding vacuum routing, all solenoids are supplied manifold vacuum on at least one side. The computer controls evap, EGR and MAP. So the vacuum block has a port reserved for MAP, climate control vent controls, cruise control vacuum booster, EGR solenoid (the other end of the solenoid connects to the EGR valve), and the purge solenoid of the EVAP cannister (the other port of the canniser connects to the fuel vapor line). That's vacuum routing in a nutshell.
I think I have the the rubber elbow that you are talking about, but there is no steel pipe that connects to the turbo. Is this needed? I think I have the PCV... I'll post some pictures tonight that can show what I'm talking about. The tech that failed me was not familiar with the car at all and wasn't really sure what was what. Thanks.

I think what you are missing is the pipe coming from the front of the PS valve cover, and connects to the inlet of the turbo. If the turbo has been changed, then you may not have the connection for it. If this is it, then you probably have a breather at the valve cover in it's place. Also, you are not supposed to have a breather in place of your oil cap.
What you think is a vacuum line from the side of the throttle body is probably the two coolant lines that are meant to warm the throttle body. Some people leave the lines on, and just plug one or both, so that they are still hooked up, but don't do what they are meant to. Good Luck.

Brian
P.S. What do you have for a turbo? And, if the guy was not familiar with the car, then how could he say for sure what was missing?

Originally posted by wagon
I think what you are missing is the pipe coming from the front of the PS valve cover, and connects to the inlet of the turbo. If the turbo has been changed, then you may not have the connection for it. If this is it, then you probably have a breather at the valve cover in it's place.
I was told by the previous owner that the turbo is a rebuilt stock.
It looks I have the rubber elbow on the valve cover, but no breather and no pipe connected to the turbo.... just a big hole. I assume this is not necessary?

Also, you are not supposed to have a breather in place of your oil cap.
Yep, I've got one in the driver side valve cover and the tech told me that they have not been legal since 1967.... not sure I believe that, but thanks for confirming that I need a new cap. Can I pick one up at any auto parts store?

What you think is a vacuum line from the side of the throttle body is probably the two coolant lines that are meant to warm the throttle body. Some people leave the lines on, and just plug one or both, so that they are still hooked up, but don't do what they are meant to.
That very well may be what I'm seeing. The tech. thought it was a vacuum connection. I guess I'll just cover it with a sleeve.

if the guy was not familiar with the car, then how could he say for sure what was missing?
My point exactly... he doesn't know. He just saw a bunch of stuff that looked like emission controls that were disconnected and not blocked off properly.

Thanks. I'll try to get some pictures up tonite.

On the front of the valve cover, is supposed to be a filter. It is a small round metal thing(black). THis snaps into the grommet on the valve cover. On the end of it, is a ...well, it's kind o flike a hose, that a pipe fits into. This pipe leads to the turbo intlet. On the inlet bell, is a connection that will probably have a big rubber cap on it. They use the cap that is usually used on water pumps to block off an extra port(Chevy??). The Throttle body, should have two of these water jacket connections. I think that one is underneath, that is probably why you only saw the one. Technically, even though they are not vacuum, they are still emissions, and are supposed to be hooked up. These connect to the heater pipes that run down the side of the intake. You probably have a small hose jumping these two connections on there now. Your best bet for the breather stuff is to try to contact one of the guys that deals in wrecks and stuff, to see if they have any of these parts. Get the oil fill cap too, because I tried to find one that fit, and noone seemed to be able to come up with a good part number. Good luck.
Brian

Well, if that is all, then you have nothing to worry about. The first picture shows the wastegate solenoid. That has nothing to do with emmissions. That solenoid allows the computer to control your boost a little, and has nothing to do with emissions. The next picture is of the water port on the throttle body. That is sort of emmissions related, but if you look directly below the 'g' in the word right in your caption, then you will see the small hose that I mentioned earlier. That is just looping the two nipples that are supposed to be connected to that nipple on the throttle body, and another one tucked away underneath it. You may een be able to get away with it by telling the guy that this only warms the plenum up to help the engine warm up sooner. You might be better off just connecting them up for now. Definately get rid of the valve cover breather. For the test that is.
Concern #1 is supposed to have a pipe connected to it, and the other end is supposed to be connected to the inlet of the turbo. In the picture intakeedit, you can see where. On the turbo right where there is a bar code, you can see the rubber plug. The pipe is supposed to be connected to that port. I'm sure you could rig something up with a hose and short section of pipe. At least good enough to satisfy the eye. Oh, and thank the guy for pointing all of this out to you, because after all, you want to fix it all, and you are trying to bring it back to original. At least tell him that. That should get you by on the visual part, unless he crawls underneath and sees a straight pipe where your cat is supposed to be. Good luck.
Brian

wagon,
Thanks for the help. It looks like I'll have a few months to fix it now as I'm taking the car off the road. My 7 week old and 19 month old daughters are priority now and I don't have the time to give the car the attention it needs. That'll also give me time to save up for some goodies like a steering column lock and a scanmaster. Thanks again.

Paul

take a day and drive down this way

be easier than changing parts to get by an inspecter that donno shiot