You can type here any text you want

Fast "Air Cooled" VW

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scottyb

Spongebob Squarecar
Since we're "off the subject", here's another.
A few years back, I bought a clapped out 71 VW camper off a neighbor for 300 bucks to use as a junk hauler. It was UGLY orange, huge rustholes, no interior and the sliding door would fall off if you didn't help it when sliding.
Anyhoo, I was on my way back from the beach on a 3 lane road and stopped at a light. I was in the middle lane when a "nice" VW bus pulls up next to me on my left. We chat for a second and we both rev, he has a stinger, I have no muffler cause it fell off. Light turns green and were off! 2 mufflerless VW's going full tilt! Sounded like a mad swarm of bees. He pulls on me by about 1 car in about 1/8 mile and we shut down. I'd been had.:(

The really sad part is that during the whole "drag race", cars were whipping by in the right lane and they were just loafing along!
:D

Was traction a problem? I bet if you would have had your slicks you would have spanked him. :D

When I was in High school, I raced my '69 60 Hp bug vs. my best friends '71 63 hp bug. The great thing about those cars are you can race in a neighborhood, but nobody calls the cops, because nobody can tell you are racing. He had me by a 1/2 a bug length in the 1/8th mile (probably around 45 mph, maybe less)

Not ALL air cooled V-dubs are slow, I used to own a 74 Super Beetle back in high school that suprised MANY a v8 muscle car. :)

Had a super 1600 (1641cc) which is basically just a stock case with a slightly bigger set of pistons, home ported dual-port heads, lumpy "street warrior" cam, Weber progressive 2bbl carb & ported intake runners AND a 75 shot of the go-juice. That car ran solid 15.0's (lol, blazing for what it was) on motor & consistent high 13's @~100 mph on the NOS. Killed plenty of Mustangs & F-bods with that thing & it was just an absolute blast to drive. :D

Doug C.

Everything's relative. I had a really close race once in my '73 Fiat 128 against another Fiat 128! Exactly matched. That was in '75 when they were both pretty new. Very slow. Still lots of fun 'cause it was close.
Keith

Back